free website stats program Diagnostic codes for 2003 Road King? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Diagnostic codes for 2003 Road King?

HI guys, I'm new as well and on the slow side. I have the same problem. Bike ran great, strong, put it away and one week later no spark. Everything seems to check out but no spark.

I have the carb. version, will those codes and procedures work on the carb. model?

Will the scanalizer tool work on the carb. model?

Where do you get spade clips that small?

I'm begging for help here.

Thanks

I would check two things. Make sure the ignition switch contacts are clean and in good shape. The crank position sensor is the second.

Yes, the Crank Sensor was a thought but can you check it without a Scan Tool?

I really need to know if the Scan tool will work on a Carb. bike and if the codes are the same as listed above.

any idea?

Thx's

The Scan tool will probably work on a carb. model but the most of the codes are for FI models. You don't that many sensors on the carb. bikes.
There are VOM test for the CPS,VSS, and I think your Mapp sensor. Do you have a Repair Manual?
tourbox

Tourbox has got you covered. MAP is definitely in the picture but only adjusts timing based on vacuum and doesn't usually cause a no fire.

I was hoping that I could get a confirmed answer, yes the scan tool will or work or no the scan tool will not work. Yes, I have a manual but there is nothing in it about codes or the scan tool.

The carb bike has fewer sensors but it still has a MAP, Ignition Module, Crank Sensor, Coil, etc., all of which could be causing problems. I could really use a code list or an instruction on how to use the dash board lamps to figure this thing out before I buy a scan toy.

thx

Boden,

That's true, I was leaning towards an Ign. Mod. or Crank Sensor. But how do you test these things without a Scan Tool?

There is an onboard Turn/Mod which is supposed to check everything to make sure it's working properly before the lamp turns off. Everything checks out but no spark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some times the Crank Pos. Sensor will be visibly bad when pulled out of its location but not always. The codes are not going to tell you that "X" is bad either.

Harley Davidson Forums

Boden,

Not sure what you mean by "codes are not going to tell you that X is bad", isn't that what the Scan tool or the dash blinky thing is for?

I really am kind of slow here, learning as I ride along.

Look at the description of the codes in the list in the link given above.

I would say yes the Scan tool will work. However where are you going to get a Scan tool? An automotive type won't work.
The closest manual I have is for 2002 FLHR and it shows a 4 wire Data plug. Use the link that Bodeen posted above and see if you can pull any codes. If you do the codes will be the same as in that post, but you won't have any Fuel Inj. codes such as 23 or 32.. If you are have a problem with the coil but it is still within limits of the ECM parameters it will not show a code, thus the X not Bad. Look at the Data plug it should have 4 pins in it. It is probably a Deutsch connector, you will need 2 HD P/N72191-94 to make a jumper. Look in the Index of your Manual for Diagnostic Codes under Engine Management as to making a jumper and which 2 pins to short out on the Data Link.
Let us know.
tourbox

Back