free website stats program Derby cover ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Derby cover ?

ya anywhere in that range is fine, everybody in my dealership just sets our torque wrenches to 100 in lbs cuz its just an easy round number to remeber

I just did my 08 and leaned it toward the exhaust side. That way you don't have to use silicone on the o ring. Plus no oil comes out. If you can have someone help you hold the bike towards that side it makes it easy and fast. The gasket (square o ring) is a bother to keep in otherwise.

oh yeah.. and make sure you get the right gasket for your new derby cover... I changed mine bout a month ago... HD guy told me the orig gasket should fit... until I was leaking primary fluid... so make sure that you ensure you have the correct gasket
J.

hey my first post

Always replace the gasket on anything you remove. Good rule of thumb to follow. Since your already in there replace the gasket with a new one, cheap insurance, plus gaskets and o rings don't last forever. They get crushed when installed and that is how they seal.

Sometimes a parts guy might tell you its ok to do something, but remember they are just parts guys, not mechanics...It's like asking a pharmacist to cure your cancer...

Back