free website stats program Dehotification of Cat exhaust | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dehotification of Cat exhaust

Any issues removing the 02 sensors?

If you did nothing else except just remove the O2 sensors?,,, Yes, you would have many issues.

You CAN do it but you must tell the ECM not to go closed loop any longer and you also must hand write new A/F map "look-up" tables.

That is exactly what I am doing. It's a pain to do, but I am very Happy with the results.

Any issues removing the 02 sensors?

Nope. I put everything back together the way it was. Went on a 280 mile ride day before yesterday and ran like a champ!!

I meant to say that I put the 02 sensors back in and have had no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. I put everything back together the way it was. Went on a 280 mile ride day before yesterday and ran like a champ!!

I meant to say that I put the 02 sensors back in and have had no issues.

Thanks.

Oops,, I thought he meant removing cats & O2 sensors and leaving them out. My mistake.

No Problem.
I just meant if there was any issues taking out the sensors to remove the exhaust, definitely must go back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my 2011 Street Glide Header off my bike and went down to a local welding shop. I asked them to cut the pipe in half where the Cat lives and then remove the Cat and weld it back up and Grind down the weld and buff. Cost me a 100 bucks. The guy said the cat came out easy on the muffler side, but he had to chisel it out of the engine side with a rattle gun.

by the way I'm newbie here, name is Jake and I ride a 2011 Street Glide Sedona Orange

I took my 2011 Street Glide Header off my bike and went down to a local welding shop. I asked them to cut the pipe in half where the Cat lives and then remove the Cat and weld it back up and Grind down the weld and buff. Cost me a 100 bucks. The guy said the cat came out easy on the muffler side, but he had to chisel it out of the engine side with a rattle gun.

by the way I'm newbie here, name is Jake and I ride a 2011 Street Glide Sedona Orange
Welcome aboard!! Are you happy with the results???

So I am still unclear as to one thing.........once it is all put back together, sensors installed, pipe installed etc...... Do you have to remap with a power commander or SE? Or does it run well just the way it is?

Thanks.

So I am still unclear as to one thing.........once it is all put back together, sensors installed, pipe installed etc...... Do you have to remap with a power commander or SE? Or does it run well just the way it is?

Thanks.
Here is where it gets interesting!! If everything was stock before you operate(yuk,yuk), I am to believe everything will be ok. If you have a high flow a/c or different pipes or a tuner, a new"map" will be needed. The air flow out of the pipes is going to be so much greater that you have to fatten up the fuel into the motor. I am running a Vance and Hines Fuelpak and all I did was called them and they gave me a new map and it took all of three minutes to enter the new codes, and that was it. Depending on what tuner you plan on using, you,re best to check with their help desk!! Can't hurt to call your dealership and talk to a tech about running catless without making any changes to your ECM on a "stock" motor!! If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer to the best of my abilities....

Hammerhead, Thanks and I appreciate it. I guess I am just going to goy buy the whole kit-n-caboodle (pipes, and some kind of new module). There are so many opinions on this topic. It would be nice though to buy something that I personally could go in and make some alterations, without a lot of headaches. I've ridden a fair amount but all of my repair experience is with drag racing cars so I'm kind of clueless where to start on the bike thing. By the way...Harleys may be a little cheaper than drag racing but not much. :)

Back