free website stats program Deals Gap | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Deals Gap

Did it Sat. 6/19 good ride, don't get in any hurry enjoy it, and there are lots of other cool rides in the area.
Yes the road is still blocked, so you get to ride it twice. Some idiot on a crotch rocket was speeding,ran through radar, tried to run from the cops on Sat. and crashed, don't know how bad it was, saw the resque squad drive up the mountain in a hurry, come back slow after about 1 hour...hope he didn't kill himself, the Darwin factor at work again...

I did the TOTD in late May and it was open from the NC side but you had to turn around and go back because of the rock slide . On the way back some IDIOT on a softail took a turn to fast and came 3/4 the way into my lane we almost did a head on , I swerved to the right and hit the brakes and we just miss each other . The Dragon is just a big tourist trap and I would not do it again IMO . The Blue Ridge Parkway is much more enjoyable .

I have to agree with Ironmark, I rode the Dragon Memorial Day Saturday, July 4th weekend will be a mad house. Most of the Harley riders are okay, it's the sport riders & the sports cars you gotta worry about.
It was fun ride, but for me the Blue Ridge Pkwy was far better, Also check out the Cherohala I believe it's called, a great ride also.

Went there last year I recommend it. Had alot of fun. If you are riding a bagger take it slow and easy. Take a look at the tree of shame it will help you to not get so frisky on the curves and there are a lot of curves. Wish I could have stayed several days to ride the area. Beautiful country.

Went there last year I recommend it. Had alot of fun. If you are riding a bagger take it slow and easy. Take a look at the tree of shame it will help you to not get so frisky on the curves and there are a lot of curves. Wish I could have stayed several days to ride the area. Beautiful country.

Yes, but this is part of the problem and the challenge of the Dragon. You can be riding slow and easy, totally within your own capabilities, and some other yahoo can endanger your life by helping himself to part of your lane. I would definitely do it early in the day on a weekday and leave the evenings and weekends to the crazies!

We rode it first week in May and it was a blast. There was a mini cooper rally and lots of other bike types on the dragon. Just need to watch your speed, normally two TNHP on different parts of the roadway. Sport bike riders were not a problem for our group, but we had some issue with them passing on curves on Hwy 129. Lots of other roads in the area to ride if dragon is to crazy. We did come up on a head-on in front of Thunder Mtn.. between to Harleys so watch for people over riding their skills.

Where is the road blocked at? Do you ride from the South going North or opposite. I only have 4 days allowed for this trip and it is about 700 miles to get there, so I need to make the most of it. The blue ridge parkway sounds fun but I don't think I have enough time for that too.

OK, duggr. Can you loan me some of your grease. From your last incident, it doesn't sound like you will be using any in the future.

Dan; From what I have read, you ride from the NC end into TN, then have to turn around near the end and return to NC. That does not mean you have to reride the same road that takes you to Deals gap, 28/129 intersects near the Campground/store/start of the dragon. 28 to Fontana Village is a beautiful ride, as is almost every road in the general area.

Back