free website stats program Deals Gap | Harley Davidson Forums

Deals Gap

FLHXDAN

I would like to hear from others that have done the "tail of the dragon". We are planning to ride it over the July 4 weekend this year.

Dan

There are numerous posts on this subject, try a search and you will be reading for a while.

I heard it was over-rated.. Don't know but it sounds like fun.

ain't no fun on a hog dogging crotch scooters. rode it several times its cool, but too many crazys. don't know if its back open after the rock slide. I bet someone here knows.

July 4 weekend is NOT a good time to ride the dragon. It will be testosterone city.
The latest reports I have seen is that it's open from the NC side to the slide area, (almost the whole length), but you must turn around and go back. There might be a cop on duty that weekend.
Just for grins, google "deals gap/the dragon" or go to youtube and search the same. Some interesting pics.

Last edited:
was there 2 weeks ago and it was still closed, ride was ok i you really want a challenge take Parson Branch Road in Cades Park to the Dragon very interesting! Cross creeks, dirt roads or as the park sign calls it "primitive road"

RetNavyHD

I would like to hear from others that have done the "tail of the dragon". We are planning to ride it over the July 4 weekend this year.

I haven't done it on the Harley .. but did it year before last in my 350Z. I
had a blast. It really keeps you on your toes. Of course .. I wasn't going
the speed limit. I did it real early on a Friday morning .. and there were
no cops.

The Monday after I was there .. I guess I guy on a Harley did himself
in.

I can't imagine getting too aggressive on it with a bagger ... but it's really a cool area and a gorgeous drive through there. Sure would be worth the ride.

Rt

Ret NavyHD been there done that on parson branch rd. last fall talk about white knuckle riding we both were riding 2 up almost went down twice there were some pretty good size limbs across in place when we were headed up the hill every one should try it at least once LOL

Back