free website stats program dealer never has parts for my bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

dealer never has parts for my bike

As i am nowhere near an hd dealer i get all my spares on line as my bikes are all from around the same time a lot of parts will fit any of them so i can steal bits from one to fix another
I do keep a stock of common use stuff in stock in my shed and some stuff always on the bike i always have a set of control cables in my saddlebag that will fit either the softail custom or the wide glide some of this attitude was formed during my days on older Brit bikes where control cables snapped regularly and i had a clutch cable fixed by tape to the clutch cable for a quick and easy change over at the side of the road

Brian

As i am nowhere near an hd dealer i get all my spares on line as my bikes are all from around the same time a lot of parts will fit any of them so i can steal bits from one to fix another
I do keep a stock of common use stuff in stock in my shed and some stuff always on the bike i always have a set of control cables in my saddlebag that will fit either the softail custom or the wide glide some of this attitude was formed during my days on older Brit bikes where control cables snapped regularly and i had a clutch cable fixed by tape to the clutch cable for a quick and easy change over at the side of the road

Brian

This is a great technique that ensures you will never need them.:D
Its like putting on rain gear just before it starts to rain. Its a sure way to keep it from raining.
All seriousness, its great to be prepared and many more times than not, you can help somebody else out.

I've been following this thread and I do understand what it's like having to wait for parts. The one thing that is really the problem is how the inventory is reported for tax purpose. Years ago unsold inventory was not reported as taxable untill sold. Since a change in the tax code made unsold inventory an asset and as such taxable it became something the dealer could not afford to keep on his or her shelf.

I've been following this thread and I do understand what it's like having to wait for parts. The one thing that is really the problem is how the inventory is reported for tax purpose. Years ago unsold inventory was not reported as taxable untill sold. Since a change in the tax code made unsold inventory an asset and as such taxable it became something the dealer could not afford to keep on his or her shelf.

That is a great point Don. Although, I had to order forks leg bolts with the crush washers for a fork leg change. Also had to order rotor bolts for a front wheel change. This is the kind of thing that my dealer does that keeps me from ever even going through the door. I can understand not having a repair manual for ten years of Road Kings.

Folks,

I am a Victory owner that wrenches all my bikes myself and recently picked up a beautiful low mileage 98th anniversary edition Electra Glide with a matching trailer -- adding #3 to my stable. I never thought I would own a Harley, but I absolutely love this bike.

It needed some work and I have found Ronnies to be awesome (I can't post the link because of these forum rules -- search Ronnies and Pittsfield MA)

They have the parts diagrams online, but they do not always have the lowest prices. In a specific case, my bike needed new pressurized fuel lines and the local wrench said they were hard to find and Ronnie's had them in stock and to me in two days. I later searched on the HD item numbers and found them listed other places about 20% cheaper (but not sure if they were in stock).

I am going to enjoy this beautiful Harley for a year before I get dragged down into the HD vs. Vic threads.

Here's what I can say so far:

1) Harleys have better quality chrome!
2) Vics are way simpler and easy to work on.

I love all my rides!

Dobe

Folks,

I am a Victory owner that wrenches all my bikes myself and recently picked up a beautiful low mileage 98th anniversary edition Electra Glide with a matching trailer -- adding #3 to my stable. I never thought I would own a Harley, but I absolutely love this bike.

It needed some work and I have found Ronnies to be awesome (I can't post the link because of these forum rules -- search Ronnies and Pittsfield MA)

They have the parts diagrams online, but they do not always have the lowest prices. In a specific case, my bike needed new pressurized fuel lines and the local wrench said they were hard to find and Ronnie's had them in stock and to me in two days. I later searched on the HD item numbers and found them listed other places about 20% cheaper (but not sure if they were in stock).

I am going to enjoy this beautiful Harley for a year before I get dragged down into the HD vs. Vic threads.

Here's what I can say so far:

1) Harleys have better quality chrome!
2) Vics are way simpler and easy to work on.

I love all my rides!

Dobe

Welcome to the forum!! Keep us posted on your experience. I'll never own another bike, barring a catastrophe with mine, but do like some of the Victory models. Be interesting to hear your opinions of the two.

HDDon makes a great point. The lack of inventory is a way to keep the bottom line in the black. And it's not just HD Dealers. The other day, I made a beer run to the local store. The guy's inventory was non existent. maybe he was having trouble paying distributors,maybe people were shopping elsewhere, but the effects of the downward spiraling economy can be felt all over. Like others, I have found that some online outfits are pretty competitive price wise, and sometimes you can get a break on shipping.

It has always been that way only worse now like Don said about parts/inventory. Puts more value in my weekend wrenching credo...start working on your bike Friday night, determine what's needed and get to the dealer early to get parts and such. Spend Saturday finishing up and test ride on Sunday (after church of course). If they don't have the parts, you can at least do all the prep work or decide how far you want to be into the bike or put it back together for use on Monday. And the moderators here have the right idea...thinking ahead for the "obvious" maintenance parts in YOUR inventory is a sure way to have "OLD" parts lying around (Bordeen and Fin are both spot on). :)

Back