free website stats program Dead battery syndrome | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dead battery syndrome

42 degrees here and I was about to take a ride. Batt dead. Went to the dealer and bought a tender and battery harness so I don't have to go through hoops to plug it in.

It started last week, but the cold must have finally gotten to it.

We'll see how quick it charges, and I may still have time to go out.

Ken

Before you charge it (if it isn't too late) make sure that the battery isn't frozen. Charging a frozen battery can cause it to explode, you know the rest here.

Before you charge it (if it isn't too late) make sure that the battery isn't frozen. Charging a frozen battery can cause it to explode, you know the rest here.

That brings up a good question will the battery freeze while hooked to a tender?

I wouldnt think so but never had one to leave on a tender on in winter before

I just went out and tried it and the bike fired up. So I guess the batt is not frozen if it charged, some?

That brings up a good question will the battery freeze while hooked to a tender?

I wouldnt think so but never had one to leave on a tender on in winter before

In short...NO. When a battery is discharged over roughly 50%, the electrolyte turns back into water and that will freeze. A charged battery will go quite low in temps without freezing but the starting capacity (CCA) wil be depleted by almost half of it's rated capacity.

In short...NO. When a battery is discharged over roughly 50%, the electrolyte turns back into water and that will freeze. A charged battery will go quite low in temps without freezing but the starting capacity (CCA) wil be depleted by almost half of it's rated capacity.

Good info

Sometime a battery will freeze and you won't realize it . you can charge the battery and it will seem fine ,but the plates have warped and it will let you down,usually after the first long hot ride.

FYI, A fully charged battery is the best defense against freezing:

Freezing:
Percent Chg Specific Gravity Freeze Pt(Fahrenheit)
100............... 1.265 ............... -75
76................. 1.225 .............. -35
74................. 1.150 ................ 5
0 ................. 1.100 ............... 18
<0 ................ 1.050 ............... 27

Excerpt from the Yuasa website

Last edited:
FYI, A fully charged battery is the best defense against freezing:

Freezing:
Percent Chg Specific Gravity Freeze Pt(Fahrenheit)
100............... 1.265 ............... -75
76................. 1.225 .............. -35
74................. 1.150 ................ 5
0 ................. 1.100 ............... 18
<0 ................ 1.050 ............... 27

Excerpt from the Yuasa website

I'm sure mine wasn't frozen then. It turned over some and clicked before I put the charger on.

I'm sure mine wasn't frozen then. It turned over some and clicked before I put the charger on.

Since your bike was in a garage, the battery tender' slow charge rate does have a tendancy to warm the electrolyte some due to the chemical reaction occurring, so overnight trickle if the room did not drop to 30 deg F or so, you should be good to go. :D

Just be aware, if a battery has been deep discharged all the way once or twice, it may never really recover it's full CCA ability, so if the battery is over 5-6 years old, was not introduced to the battery tender until late, and likely suffered thru several deep discharges...probably be good to start thinking about replacing it, as a precaution. Do run the user "Cold Cranking Test" posted earlier in this thread to be sure.

Back