free website stats program Dan Moore Remote Oil Filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dan Moore Remote Oil Filter

So then what is the benefit??????
To each his own. To just move filter to different location and additional oil capacity, I would just rather install a larger volume oil pan..
Another thought is police bikes are subject to severe duty that not many would achieve in normal circumstances and they are what they are from the factory with no additional modification to engine and drive train.
Just my .02 cents. Its your ride you decide....:s

I think the biggest benefit is no mess when changing oil.

So then what is the benefit??????
To each his own. To just move filter to different location and additional oil capacity, I would just rather install a larger volume oil pan..
Another thought is police bikes are subject to severe duty that not many would achieve in normal circumstances and they are what they are from the factory with no additional modification to engine and drive train.
Just my .02 cents. Its your ride you decide....:s

I preface the following by agreeing with "each to his own". If you like the location of your filter, please don't go to Dan Moore's website and check out the product; it's not for you.

However, the benefit for me is the ease of cleanup after an oil change; there is none, nada, zero. I don't care what method one uses changing the ridiculously located filter on a TC motor, there will be cleanup and there will be residual oil that drips on the front motor mount on a bagger and into some nooks and crannies that will never get cleaned out. Additionally, if you run an oil cooler, cleanup becomes even more challenging. Pretty sure that the motor cops don't change their own oil filter and if they did, some of them would relocate it.:s The cooling benefit afforded by an additional 1/2 quart of oil is a side benefit but a benefit nonetheless.

Let's put it this way. If you could "wish" the oil filter to another location wouldn't you "wish" it to be somewhere other than where it is for the ease of the change and the elimination of the mess/cleanup? Well, you can but there is a cost.:s

I posted my experience with Dan because I like the product, it's made in the USA by a guy like me but smarter, it's $100 less than the competition (there are other filter relocation kits so there is a demand) and Dan is a stand up guy that respects his customers and goes the extra mile to make them happy and thought that some forum members might also be interested. :D

BTW, have you ever changed an oil pan on one of these TCs? If you have, you wouldn't want to do it again. Additionally, to get an extra quart of oil that way will cost $500+ just for the pan and, guess what, the filter change is still a pain in the neck.:newsmile100:

The 1 thing I'd like to see different on the setup is steel lines instead of rubber hose. JMHO.

I can see three reasons why steel lines are not a good idea.

1. The lines would have to be pre-bent and it would be impossible to prevent fitment issues from one bike to another. If you note from the website, the adapter piece that attaches at the original filter location can be "clocked" so that the hose fittings line up. So, if you attach the adapter and the hose fittings are not where they should be for ease of installation, you can remove the nut and rotate it so that the fittings will line up.

2. The movement of the motor in the frame, particularly in a bagger would work on the threaded fittings and could produce leaks; no such issues with hoses and clamps.

3. The cost would increase considerable.

Personally, I have no issue with the hoses; they make sense to me but that's JMHO.:D

Just curious, but if you install one of these setups, what happens to the original oil filter and mount??? I like this idea but not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger just yet. It might look strange in that location.

Just curious, but if you install one of these setups, what happens to the original oil filter and mount??? I like this idea but not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger just yet. It might look strange in that location.

The "adapter" attaches where the OEM filter was mounted; the OEM filter is relocated to the rear. If done with black powder coated hardware, the filter in the new location will be hard to see. Of course, if one prefers chrome filters, the filter will be more noticeable in the new location. I am a fan of function over form so relocating the filter in a better and more accessible location is appealing to me while others may have issues with the new location. But just think of the conversation it will generate.:D

I am not trying to sell Dan's product; just letting members know it's available and IMHO, a good product that is worth the time and expense to install. I am still waiting on the black parts but if any one is interested; happy to post photos of the polished adapter and filter mount sitting on my bench.:s

I preface the following by agreeing with "each to his own". If you like the location of your filter, please don't go to Dan Moore's website and check out the product; it's not for you.

However, the benefit for me is the ease of cleanup after an oil change; there is none, nada, zero. I don't care what method one uses changing the ridiculously located filter on a TC motor, there will be cleanup and there will be residual oil that drips on the front motor mount on a bagger and into some nooks and crannies that will never get cleaned out. Additionally, if you run an oil cooler, cleanup becomes even more challenging. Pretty sure that the motor cops don't change their own oil filter and if they did, some of them would relocate it.:s The cooling benefit afforded by an additional 1/2 quart of oil is a side benefit but a benefit nonetheless.

Let's put it this way. If you could "wish" the oil filter to another location wouldn't you "wish" it to be somewhere other than where it is for the ease of the change and the elimination of the mess/cleanup? Well, you can but there is a cost.:s

I posted my experience with Dan because I like the product, it's made in the USA by a guy like me but smarter, it's $100 less than the competition (there are other filter relocation kits so there is a demand) and Dan is a stand up guy that respects his customers and goes the extra mile to make them happy and thought that some forum members might also be interested. :D

BTW, have you ever changed an oil pan on one of these TCs? If you have, you wouldn't want to do it again. Additionally, to get an extra quart of oil that way will cost $500+ just for the pan and, guess what, the filter change is still a pain in the neck.:newsmile100:

Thank you for explaining you reasons for this update to your scoot. As you have with many of your replies on the forum you explain things very thoroughly and clearly.:worthy I would have never guessed that the larger oil pan was $500.00. Ouch!

Back