free website stats program CVO tachometer for FXDF | Harley Davidson Forums

CVO tachometer for FXDF

RTRsenior

Have been trying to get a tacho for my fat bob since doing the engine upgrades without much success. Finally tracked down a new, still in the box, 2009 CVO Tachometer and bracket. I have been told it has the plug and play harness but the original owner couldn't find where to connect it on his FXDF. I would hope that the fittings required are easy enough to make? Anyone Else fitted a CVO FXDFSE Tachometer onto a FXDF.

Thanks for reading and any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers Gator508, I am picking that I will need to fabricate something for this tacho, Would be a simple plug and play for a CVO fat bob, but their are no fittings/ connections in the wiring loom for the Standard FXSDF fat bobs. I don't think a Good HD sparky will have any trouble, but I know I will, lol.

You didn't say what year your Fatbob is. I did some looking on the HD P&A page and didn't find any tach for a CVO. What may help you, is to look for a tach for your year, then open the "Fitment" tab at the bottom of the page. There should be instructions for the connector. This link may get you closer http://bit.ly/34Vlapn

Hey guys, thanks for your input, This Tachometer is now an obsolete item, HD part number #67541-08 and the wiring harness is #71960-03, and the handle bar riser mounting bracket is #55855-08 I imagine it was a simple bolt onto the bars and plug and play for any CVO Fat Bob 2008-2010 My FXDF is a 2010 model. I was very fortunate to find these "2009" items unused and still in their packets. I don't think wiring them in will be too much of a problem, well.... fingers crossed

RTR, I have the Service Manual for the '07 Dyna's and in it are the wiring diagrams for the various models. FXDF came later, but being a Dyna the wiring may be the same. The FXDL had both a speedo and a separate tach and the wiring diagram shows the following:

The plug is the same for the speedo and tach, a 12-piece Packard. No part number shown. Ronnie HD has parts microfiche that may show a part number. I'd imagine there is just one tach for wiring purposes with varying diameters and housings.

There are five wires going to both the tach and speedo and the plug locations are the same for each.
Pin 1 - Ignition O (for Orange, etc)
Pin 2 - Data Link LGN/V
Pin 5 - Battery BN/GY
Pin 6 - Accessory O/W
Pin 7 - Ground BK

Don't know if I recommend soldering up the jumpers if you can' t find the connector, but if your speedometer has the same wiring it is something to think about.

The 2019 Parts catalog has what they call a 'Cluster' with both speedo and tach for some CVO and other models so they may not have sold the tach as a separate unit. The photo shows black face instruments in the mount, and the MPH cluster is part #70900773 at list $647.47. If you can track down an older P & A catalog there used to be separate mounts shown, but its been a few years.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Photos are always appreciated.

RTR, I have the Service Manual for the '07 Dyna's and in it are the wiring diagrams for the various models. FXDF came later, but being a Dyna the wiring may be the same. The FXDL had both a speedo and a separate tach and the wiring diagram shows the following:

The plug is the same for the speedo and tach, a 12-piece Packard. No part number shown. Ronnie HD has parts microfiche that may show a part number. I'd imagine there is just one tach for wiring purposes with varying diameters and housings.

There are five wires going to both the tach and speedo and the plug locations are the same for each.
Pin 1 - Ignition O (for Orange, etc)
Pin 2 - Data Link LGN/V
Pin 5 - Battery BN/GY
Pin 6 - Accessory O/W
Pin 7 - Ground BK

Don't know if I recommend soldering up the jumpers if you can' t find the connector, but if your speedometer has the same wiring it is something to think about.

The 2019 Parts catalog has what they call a 'Cluster' with both speedo and tach for some CVO and other models so they may not have sold the tach as a separate unit. The photo shows black face instruments in the mount, and the MPH cluster is part #70900773 at list $647.47. If you can track down an older P & A catalog there used to be separate mounts shown, but its been a few years.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Photos are always appreciated.

Wow, thanks heaps for that info, that should make things a lot clearer.
I have seen those new speedo and tacho combos, I could get one for my Fat bob, but I really preferred the separate tacho which is why I kept searching, HD stopped supplying them many years ago, so was over the moon to find this complete set that had been sitting in someones cupboard for years. I took a gamble that I could install it on my Fat Bob. I will keep you up to date once it arrives in the post and I start the fitment. I will attempt to add some photos, I am a real dinosaur with technology, lol first pic is one on a CVO, 2nd is the goods I have purchased.

Attachments

• 018921_2005_Harley-Davidson_CVO[1].jpg
    018921_2005_Harley-Davidson_CVO[1].jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 76644626_2503087666411339_5487696558960934912_n[1].jpg
    76644626_2503087666411339_5487696558960934912_n[1].jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 10
Have a look at these links that cover the parts for the 2009 and the 2010 bikes.
2009:
http://bit.ly/2qq7cN7

2010:
http://bit.ly/2DSXsOt

When you go onto the ‘Console and gauges’ section , it mentions the part no.for that bike. And there’s a bit of a wiring schematic for both in the appropriate areas. Including the extra loom/s that you may require.

Dunno if it will help, but it may be advantageous to you.
The instruments for both years are shown, including, as I mentioned, with part numbers.
And of course the parts that make up the entire handlebar mounting installation.
Which appears to be all the bits that you bought.

Last edited:
Have a look at these links that cover the parts for the 2009 and the 2010 bikes.
2009:
http://bit.ly/2qq7cN7

2010:
http://bit.ly/2DSXsOt

When you go onto the ‘Console and gauges’ section , it mentions the part no.for that bike. And there’s a bit of a wiring schematic for both in the appropriate areas. Including the extra loom/s that you may require.

Dunno if it will help, but it may be advantageous to you.
The instruments for both years are shown, including, as I mentioned, with part numbers.
And of course the parts that make up the entire handlebar mounting installation.
Which appears to be all the bits that you bought.

That is some great info mate, thanks heaps,
Yes, I did have a suspicion that I may need to fabricate a loom to connect the CVOs loom to my non cvo fat bob and this info will help immensely.

Back