free website stats program CV running rich | Harley Davidson Forums

CV running rich

bus driver

I have a stock 91 Electraglide. While on a 2000 mile ride and noticed soot on my exhaust pipes. It has a BUB exhaust.( it is not a true dual). While I was on the road I replaced the air filter thinking that might be the culprit. I rebuilt the carb not that long ago. 4000 miles. When I accelerate hard black smoke comes out the pipes. ( mostly the right pipe).
The plugs look good. Light tan to gray. I pulled the carb apart and replaced the float needle. The rubber came off of the rebuild needle very easily. I thought maybe the float was hanging up. The float adjustment is correct. While I had it apart I cleaned and blew out everything. It's still blowing black smoke. The plugs aren't that old. Maybe 8000 miles. I don't know what could be causing the soot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I always use Sea Foam. Thanx. Bus Driver.

I replaced the cable not too long ago. I wonder if it could be the brass end piece. I thought of that, but the cable was seated snugly against the carb. It doesn't look like you can replace the enrichener seat. I don't know. It was a Harley cable. The bike has 37,000 miles. Thanx. Bus Driver.

Does your needle jet look like this
needle-jet-correct.jpg

I honestly don't know if that is what my needle jet looks like. I would have to pull it. I know it leaks oil, but I don't think it burns it. The blow by from the breather isn't bad.The smoke is definitely black. I'm pulling my hair out and I don't much hair to pull. Makes you appreciate fuel injection. Thanx. Bus Driver.

C V carbs are pretty user friendly, not much to go wrong if careful when rebuilding, float height, new needle, careful to install diaphragm, If the enricher is the culprit you may have a slightly higher idle, have you removed the cap over the air mixture screw
mixture_screw.jpg

Yes, that is the first thing I did. (Remove the cap). Actually my idle would stumble a little. ( drop). That's what made me think it was the float adjustment. ( loading up). If you rev it in neutral, it blows black smoke with the enrichener fully off. You might be right with the enrichener. What's weird is the plugs look fine. Thanx. Bus Driver.

What about ignition?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your MPG? Has that changed since the carb rebuild? Do a compression and leak down test.

Back