free website stats program Cutting An Oil Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Cutting An Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider.

BOT Machine
With the cam chain tensioners of past years (up to 07) , it's important to monitor the oil filter for the contents and act accordingly if you find those orange flakes in the pleats of the filter before it takes out your oil pump or engine.

Here's one that I made from parts lying around that I had.

No welding is required and care must be taken to drill the angle iron in the proper places for the oil filter to fit properly so the cutter can shear the filter casing.

I used 2 roller bearings from a hoover upright vacuum roller for the back stop rollers to hold the filter while the cutter is from an old can opener and mounted to slice through the filter housing.
The bolt on the end is used to crank the cutting wheel down as you rotate the oil filter with the filter wrench that you used to remove it from the bike.
Lock nuts used on all the bolts except the cranking nut on the end so you can snug then down just short of solid mountings so they can rotate.

Mount the unit in your vice and turn the filter with the filter wrench on a ratchet and in about 2 turns of the filter, it separates like the one shown in the picture.
I also have 2 sets of holes drilled so I can move the rollers for bigger filters.

Nothing fancy but it works well and it cost nothing to make.:D

Non-working picture links removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive !!! Something made out of nothing. I love trying to make speciality tools before going out and buying one, just to see if I can. Dangit I just chunked that old vacuum cleaner. :small3d015:

Another great do-it-yourself tip! I know you drain the oli out of the filter beforhand, but does it make much of a mess when you cut it open?

Any reason to do this on 2008 and later models, other than curiosity to see what the filter caught?

Mr. Data - I never would have thought of that. Great how to, now I just have to find some old parts to build me one. My curiosity is now sparked.

"Where does he get those wonderful toys" and ideas, thoughts...

Any reason to do this on 2008 and later models, other than curiosity to see what the filter caught?

More important on the pre 07 bikes but doesn't hurt on the new ones to find out if anything is going on in the engine.

Mr. Data - I never would have thought of that. Great how to, now I just have to find some old parts to build me one. My curiosity is now sparked.

"Where does he get those wonderful toys" and ideas, thoughts...

Necessity is the mother of invention.:D

I use a chian cutter for exhaust pipes. Works great and then I use it to cut exhausts, the cutters are well oiled then.

bloomin' INGENIOUS!
Not having bearings like that, I would think a small stack of washers slid over a bolt, with a nut on each side of the angle iron to lock the bolt in place allowing the washers spin could work too.

Works much better with the rollers. Watch for an upright vacuum out for the trash and make off with it.:D

A vacuum repair shop would usually have them in stock or used ones at a minimal cost too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back