free website stats program Crank but will not start? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Crank but will not start?

if you have spark and compression is good, you can verify that it`s the injectors failing by adding a tiny drop of starter fluid in the cylinders through the spark plug hole, then insert spark plugs and crank the engine, it should fire and then stall..

if so it will be your fuel delivery which is not working. Since you don`t hear your fuel pump pressuring up, checking the electrics to this component would be where I`d start.

Be very care ful with starting fluid , better to use a spray bottle with gas:s

Here is my problem guys. I have 2001 duece that had the run light left on for about a month. I was out on business trip, anyways I have already charged the battery its reading 12.88 volts. When I go to to start I dont hear the efi pump prime? The bike will crank but no start ..please help?:cheers

I would say that if you don't hear the pump prime, then it is not working. You should be able to hear it, At least on the initial pressurization.
When you checked the fuses...did you pull them and check them with a meter??...You cannot properly check a fuse while it is in the system. Nor can you be sure it is good by looking at it. Only way to be sure is to remove it, test it with a meter, and reinstal....after making sure the contact points are good in the fuse block.
Also, as was mentioned, make sure the kill switch is working properly.
If you have fuel...spark...correct voltage and air, it should run.

Here is my problem guys. I have 2001 duece that had the run light left on for about a month. I was out on business trip, anyways I have already charged the battery its reading 12.88 volts. When I go to to start I dont hear the efi pump prime? The bike will crank but no start ..please help?:cheers

You said you installed "New" fuses. So that should eliminate fuses.

Batteries Good

My next move would be to check or replace the Fuel Pump Relay. You could swab it with the Starter Relay to see if the fuel pump comes on. Of course if it is bad the starters will not work.

Note: If the bike turns over, there is no problem with the on/off (kill)switch.

Good Luck

You said you installed "New" fuses. So that should eliminate fuses.

Batteries Good

My next move would be to check or replace the Fuel Pump Relay. You could swab it with the Starter Relay to see if the fuel pump comes on. Of course if it is bad the starters will not work.

Note: If the bike turns over, there is no problem with the on/off (kill)switch.

Good Luck

Edit: If the relay somehow went bad in the closed position(locked there) and caused the fuel pump to fail. So if you chose to swap relays, the starter could run when you turn the bike on. Just be ready, should not happen.

I have never tried this, but by the schematics it looks like the starter and fuel pump relays are the same. Common relay would be better to just get a new one. Good spare part to have anyway.

My advice is based on what I would do. I have paid the consequences for my methods more then once.:cheers

Does this mean the ignition was left on/ if that is the case I would check the coil first, then the rest of the ignition system, I have seen coils destroyed this way

I think the OP left the RUNning lights on...so he discharge the battery down to nothig. Hopefully he was able to put a regular battery charger on it to overcome the low input resistance that will overtax the standard Battery Tender trickle charger. That battery may still be toast but not the problem.

The lack of the fuel tank/pump not stirring says that EFI is not pressurized with fuel. So the suggestions for putting fuel in the plug holes by Safehaven, and the relay swap by Jonas seem to be very sound. Bike should at least *click* and whir and if after the swap, the starter does not work; but the fuel pump stirs, a new relay is in order, for that bad swapped relay.

Back