free website stats program Corrosion on rear wheel | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Corrosion on rear wheel

My wife's 07 Lowrider has the same problem. Definetly a HD problem as the 3 metrics I have had never had this ugly rim problem that you only see on HD's.

Her bike is an 07 but we bought it as a leftover in May of last year so it is still under warranty. I think I will take it to the dealer since I also just bought my RG there and see what they say. I will let ya know.

Any preventive measures I can take on my RG to prevent this from happening? I was thinking of spraying the rims with the clear coat rust-O-leum but then I would have to pay to have the wheels removed and I really don't want to waste money I could be buying accessories with.

I really feel that the problem is coming from the brake dust on the rim. Try keeping it a bit cleaner more often and see if that helps.

I wouldn't clear coat the wheel because if that starts to cause a problem, then you have a real mess on your hands. What ever is attacking the metal will also attack the clear coat too.

I have this problem with my 07 Night Train. The rear rim is the half black with polished aluminum outer / lip. The wheel looks like it has speckles all over it, and polishing doesn't help it. My front wheel has the chrome finish flaking right off of it. I only have 347 miles on the bike and my warranty runs till 2010. What do you think my chances are with getting the dealer to warranty the wheels?

If it is brake dust, use the old NASCAR trick. Spray PAM on the rim, this keeps the brake dust from sticking to the metal. I have V&H monster ovals with the tips reversed, so I spray PAM on the inside tips and the exhaust residue (what there is) wipes right off.

Try Auto Tech Aluma 1. I havn't used it on wheels but it works good on other things it will pull the black out of the pores in the metal. It will clean bluing off mufflers and pipes if it's not real bad. I got mine at a auto paint supply store.
Hoghunter

I wish I would have seen this post sooner. I could have kept the rims clean. It is definitely brake dust since its only on the brake side of my 2008 Fatboy. I see no way to prevent this? Do I have to wipe the dust off after every ride?

Back