free website stats program Corrosion on rear wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Corrosion on rear wheel

oldgeezer

I have some oxidation or corrosion on the rear wheel of my 09 ultra. I have tried to remove it with "Mothers, Mothers Billet, 0000 steel wool, and Eagle 1- Never Dull. I was able to get what was on the surface, but the wheel is still discolored where the corrosion was. Does anyone know of a product that will remove this.:(

An 09 bike, what about taking it back to the dealer?

If not and it's the rear wheel depending on where it is on the wheel, if it is on the outer rim, I would (this is me) put it on a lift and start it up and use some 1500 wet or dry sandpaper as the wheel spins in gear to polish it up if it is on the outer lip near the tire. Follow that up with some never dull the same way.
There's no clear coat on the wheels. I'm assuming that the wheels aren't chrome and that they are mags.

Wow, I can see Hobbit' 09 having the problem with their extreme wet conditions and year 'round riding and the like...OldG, how long have you had your's and what riding conditions are out there? Thought your riding season would be shorter due to the harsh winter we've had stateside.

I had the same problem with my 09 Ultra but the Harley shop was able to clean it up. I am not sure what they used but I guess I caught it before it got too bad. If it comes back I would really like them chromed.

Steve

A lot of times it's the brake dust that is left on the wheel for extended periods that does the damage. Regular cleaning of a switch to the Lyndall brake pads that are low dusting would definitely help.

Wow, I can see Hobbit' 09 having the problem with their extreme wet conditions and year 'round riding and the like...OldG, how long have you had your's and what riding conditions are out there? Thought your riding season would be shorter due to the harsh winter we've had stateside.

I bought it in oct 08. Riding conditions have been pretty good all winter off and on. I have rode it every pretty day that we have had. They have not salted the roads here at all, but they did sand the bridges two or three times. I have never rode it in the rain or on wet roads. My engine mount, and the clutch cable have corrosion on them also. Went to the HD store, they said no warrantee, it is just cosmetic? The service manager tried some heavy duty cleaner with some pumice in it and he thinks "I" can get it off. He rubbed for five minutes on one spot and could not get it, but he is sure that his cleaner will get it if I will buy a bottle of it and scrub it. The spot that he scrubbed lost its shine the stuff was so abrasive, but the spots are still there. What now?

They have to share in the responsibility for dulling out a spot of the wheel and should help you out somehow with this issue. JMHO

Oldgeezer in reading your different posts about problems with your dealer,my advise would be to find another dealer,one who wants to look after their customers,They are out there!

I have thought about it. There are two local dealerships. They are both owned by the same people. The guys are very nice they just say their hands are tied and there is nothing they can do.

Back