free website stats program cooked engines | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cooked engines

It looks like there is a thread started right here. As far as my opinion, I posted that above in post #7. In other words they aren't too bright IMO.

So you are telling me that even that their bikes started to smoke they kept on riding them? Why would anyone do that to their bike?

In all fairness I would like to know exactly what was smoking. If the guy had a tiny oil leak onto the exhaust,,,,could be fresh painted part,,, so many non-important reasons to see smoke.
Your making it sound like the guy driving down the highway with no coolant in the Radiator..

the smoke was coming from the top end of the motors,I first thought maybe the leads were doing it,but it was way to much and spread out for that.It definately wasnt coming from any breather that I know of.
As to leaving a brain in nutral when riding in a large group,I 've often thought that,because some just have to get up front,and completely ignor the fact that thier room for manouver is very limited,and they're not alone!

I've seen the "gotta be in front guys". The "I don't care if I cause a big gap in the ride guys". The " I'm going to ride in the other lane, as fast as I want guys". And the "what do you mean this is a controlled ride guys?". It's funny I don't seem to run into these riders when I'm out by myself. Is it just me or is there some mass mindset that allows the brain to become disengauged from logic? As for the riders that will push their bikes beyond the point of what is resonable (Hobbit not included) I just don't understand.

When riding in a large group, sometimes the mind does seem to check out the door... as I have seen some all of those types HDDon spoke about. It also has to do with group riding experience and type of ride...when it is a competition to get somewhere or runs where money or prestige is involved it is called racing in a controlled environ...otherwise it is called stupidity or a variant...!

When riding in a large group, sometimes the mind does seem to check out the door... as I have seen some all of those types HDDon spoke about. It also has to do with group riding experience and type of ride...when it is a competition to get somewhere or runs where money or prestige is involved it is called racing in a controlled environ...otherwise it is called stupidity or a variant...!

Fan, I have been riding for 50+ yrs and other than on a track I have never been on a ride controlled or not where it mattered if you got their first or last. All poker runs have a start and end time but your cards are counted as long as you are there before the shutoff time. Are you talking about street racing? As far as I'm concerened when you are riding with a large group of people you may or may not know, it is not the time to become Fast Freddie Spencer. I guess one question I would ask the forum is if you are riding (?) and the motor starts to smoke do you stop or press on?

HDDon, yeah I was talking about riding in large groups that get to thinking that they can go through traffic like they owned it ("--just to keep up with the group"), and no I would never continue if the engine starts smoking or my thighs were sizz'lin...

Hey we ride in groups for fun and comaraderie, this is not a solo Iron Butt type event...trying to outdo your personal best, "--in spite of doing the group thing, you are only as good as the equipment you bring after all" , not to trailer your bike home on a flat bed while the group rides off into the distance...

If I had a problem like that, I would stop on the spot, but then again sometimes rides like that are never worth it. JMO., I would never think of putting my bike in that situation, pay 20 or 30 bucks to go on a ride to burn up 5000.00 engine, like I have, not worth it.

Back