free website stats program Conversion Cams: Roller Chain Drive Up-grade | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Conversion Cams: Roller Chain Drive Up-grade

Woods brothers make them but besides the advertizement I haven't heard anything about them. I installed the s&s Gear drive. Works great but gets a little noisy when good a warm.

I think at the time they were not in business 5 years ago ;-) cheer.

Ken,

Contacted Herko, and got all set up.

But I have a question for you. Did you use adjustable pushrods or did you pull the tops and the rockers to get the one piece rods out? If you used adjustable rods, did you replace the pushrod tubes/covers with ones that extend down lower so they are easier to push up out of the way to adjust the rods? If you did, where did you get them, and what is the part number.

TQ

Hello TQ,
I'm new to this forum but I have an 03 Road King that I noticed was sounding a bit unusual last year so put it away a little early. From my investigation, I have a feeling the cam chain tensioner is failing so my quest this spring, before I get her on the road, is to handle that problem. I had a grand idea to go to gear drive but I have no idea what my runout is and don't want to purchase two systems in case I'm out more than the allowance. I noticed your thread when searching the web and thought you might be able to help me out. The guy that Kemo referred you to for parts necessary to make the conversion to hydraulic chain tensioner which would include the conversion plate, etc. Since I'm in there I'm going to replace the cam and bearings with the Andrews 21 or 26 (still undecided). I'm not a high speed high revving guy but like to have torque and power when I pull out to pass without downshifting. I would appreciate it if you could send me the guy's name or contact where I can obtain these parts. Oh, is the higher capacity oil pump included in the package? Thanks so much for your help sir!

Hawger03

Hello TQ,
I'm new to this forum but I have an 03 Road King that I noticed was sounding a bit unusual last year so put it away a little early. From my investigation, I have a feeling the cam chain tensioner is failing so my quest this spring, before I get her on the road, is to handle that problem. I had a grand idea to go to gear drive but I have no idea what my runout is and don't want to purchase two systems in case I'm out more than the allowance. I noticed your thread when searching the web and thought you might be able to help me out. The guy that Kemo referred you to for parts necessary to make the conversion to hydraulic chain tensioner which would include the conversion plate, etc. Since I'm in there I'm going to replace the cam and bearings with the Andrews 21 or 26 (still undecided). I'm not a high speed high revving guy but like to have torque and power when I pull out to pass without downshifting. I would appreciate it if you could send me the guy's name or contact where I can obtain these parts. Oh, is the higher capacity oil pump included in the package? Thanks so much for your help sir!

Hawger03

Welcome to the forum Hawger03 !

This is a pretty old thread already albeit a good one. You would be better served if you started a new thread here.

The Herko kit is no longer available due to the MOCO not selling parts it independents and only to its dealers (Herko & Andrews kits had Harley parts included).

See ;
Cam plate/tuner ??? - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

Harley Davidson Forums

not sure if links will work

PS the second one from bigall66 is in his albums. you need to click on the first picture, then it will show up with his very good explanations

The guy that Kemo referred you to for parts necessary to make the conversion to hydraulic chain tensioner which would include the conversion plate, etc. Since I'm in there I'm going to replace the cam and bearings with the Andrews 21 or 26 (still undecided). I'm not a high speed high revving guy but like to have torque and power when I pull out to pass without downshifting. I would appreciate it if you could send me the guy's name or contact where I can obtain these parts.

Hawger03,

As Stray Dog said above, Herko (John Wadsworth) is no longer assembling his Roller Chain Conversion Kit. Andrews Products still has one as does HD and some of the third-party makers like Fueling.

The AP kit looks like this:

Andrew's Products Harley Davidson Cam Conversion Kit | Hot Bike

or

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/images/2013catalog/Andrews_Products_Motorcycle_2013.pdf (see pg. 5)

Check out the pictorial I did when I upgraded my '03 Ultra (r.i.p.):

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Forums

Let us know how you do. And take lots of pix!!

Cheers,

TQ

Hawger03,

As Stray Dog said above, Herko (John Wadsworth) is no longer assembling his Roller Chain Conversion Kit. Andrews Products still has one as does HD and some of the third-party makers like Fueling.

The AP kit looks like this:

Andrew's Products Harley Davidson Cam Conversion Kit | Hot Bike

or

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/images/2013catalog/Andrews_Products_Motorcycle_2013.pdf (see pg. 5)

Check out the pictorial I did when I upgraded my '03 Ultra (r.i.p.):

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Forums

Let us know how you do. And take lots of pix!!

Cheers,

TQ

TQ,
For some reason that I dont remember, I didnt think the Andrews kit 288902 for 2002-2006 TC was still available. I could be wrong tho. I just tried calling but it was too late in the day.

TQ,
For some reason that I dont remember, I didnt think the Andrews kit 288902 for 2002-2006 TC was still available. I could be wrong tho. I just tried calling but it was too late in the day.

May not be, but that is from the 2013 AP Motorcycle Catalog. Hope it is, or there is another source of kits lost!!

TQ

May not be, but that is from the 2013 AP Motorcycle Catalog. Hope it is, or there is another source of kits lost!!

TQ

UPDATE:

I just called Andrews. They DO NOT carry the conversion kits anymore.
I asked why "Harley does not sell us the parts anymore" was the answer from Andrews. (maybe some one still has some in stock somewhere?? I didn't find them a few months back tho.)

The likes of Fueling, that make all their own parts are still out there, but $$$.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, just want to give facts instead of my assumptions. :D

Confirming that Andrews no longer sells the roller conversion kit any longer; however, it is confusing because the kit is still shown on their website but the price list effective January 1, 2014 does not include the conversion kit.

The last kit I put together ran just under $400, no cams, but all the rest of the hardware to make the conversion. The parts required are included in the below list and ordering from an online discount dealer, like Newcastle, is the cheapest way to put together a kit.

Hawger03, I would bet a six pack that your crank runout is within limits (not greater than .003") to run gear driven cams if that is your preference. Very easy to check and while I doubt runout is an issue, always best to check before ordering parts.

Personally, I have never liked the later OEM cam plate when running performance cams and would opt for the 25284-11 "hybrid" conversion kit that includes the bronze bushings for the outer cam journals to run in vs the parent material of the OEM cam plate; for sure a personal choice. The 25284-11 conversion kit, if purchased from an online discount dealer can be had for about $400.

Andrews cams can be purchase on Ebay for about $250 for cams or about $350 for cams and install kit inclulding innner/outer bearings, cam cover gasket, spacers, snap ring and new pinion sprocket bolt.:cheers

Back