free website stats program Conversion Cams: Roller Chain Drive Up-grade | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Conversion Cams: Roller Chain Drive Up-grade

My indys name is John. You can reach him at (removed by TQ). He is in Indianna. You can probably get it cheaper through Zanotti's but I couldn't be bothered. Like I said this kit is complete and he is a square shooter. I am in Canada and he worked with me on shipping. I had the order in less than a week which is super service for cross border transaction. I would give you a phone number but he says it is pretty usless because of noise in the shop. When you email him include your phone number and he will get back to you quickly.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested to incase my buddy decides to do it also

Bud,

Here is the info on the Andrews cams:

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/2008-catalog.pdf

Based on the application (gear drive, roller chain, original set-up, etc.) AP uses a prefix (i.e., TW) or suffix (i.e., G or N or HP, etc.) around a base number that represents a particular grind. The #21 grind that I am going with they say is for:

Bolt-in cam: More torque for all around riding with heavy bikes, stock compression ratios and stock pistons. Similar to #23 cam for EV80. (1700-4800 RPM).

The #26 that Kemo went with is for:

Bolt-in cam 88-95 inches and stock compression ratio. Great for two up touring, this cam will add torque and HP at lower and middle RPM ranges. (1800-5200 RPM).

His cams will deliver more once the rpms get up a bit higher than I like to run at. I am looking for more bottom end torque, which is what the #21s should give me.

I have ordered all my stuff, and will be documenting the process in a post here shortly. Although the stuff is supposed to be here by the weekend, Momma has informed me that I will NOT be working on the bike on Valentine's Day.

Will take plenty of pictures and identify what I got and from where. Gonna be fun!

TQ

Attachments

• 2008-catalog.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
Hi TQ . Did you consider putting the S&S crankcase reed valve breather in while you are in there to help with the problem of oil pushing where it shouldn't be ? As the engines get bigger there is a problem with oil blowing out the air cleaner because the crankcase can't vent it all quick enough. The S&S unit fixes that? I have put mine in but haven't run engine yet to see result. Just thought that while you were in there it might be a "YingYang" that you might think about?:D

This is interesting. I just read somewhere that there is a belt drive type of camchain instead of using gears?

What company makes those?

This is interesting. I just read somewhere that there is a belt drive type of camchain instead of using gears?

What company makes those?

Check this out:

Bdrive

Not sure what is inside there however.

TQ

Hi TQ . Did you consider putting the S&S crankcase reed valve breather in while you are in there to help with the problem of oil pushing where it shouldn't be ? As the engines get bigger there is a problem with oil blowing out the air cleaner because the crankcase can't vent it all quick enough. The S&S unit fixes that? I have put mine in but haven't run engine yet to see result. Just thought that while you were in there it might be a "YingYang" that you might think about?:D

Are you thinking of the EVO? If not, where is that?

TQ

HI TQ;
No its for evo's too but it's for Twin Cam A engines. Will not work on B engines because the balancer apparently sits in same spot. It goes in right on pinion shaft behind cam plate. Here is a bit more info from a few sites. Also if you type in S&S Crankcase breather you can read about it yourself.
Sorry about all the links but once I started reading about it they were everywhere. Hope its helpful? :D

Where I read about it first :
101 twincam projects:
101 Harley-Davidson Twin Cam ... - Google Book Search

J&P cycles
J

Another Site that sells S&S parts
S&S® CRANKCASE BREATHER VALVES FOR TWIN CAMS from Biker's Choice 2006

No its for evo's too but it's for Twin Cam A engines. Will not work on B engines because the balancer apparently sits in same spot. It goes in right on pinion shaft behind cam plate.

Excellent! I did not know about this. I am not sure I understand how this part works with the other parts of the oil pump. The roller chain upgrade kit comes with a new style pump. What parts does the S&S Crankcase Breather replace? I have the 101 Projects book for the TC, but it is in storage right now (trying to sell the house!). Need to see that page 176!!

I see that they have a unit for the 99-'02 models, and a different unit for the '03-'06 "A" models. My concern is that the new pump may not accomodate this valve.

Will check it out on-line to see if I can figure it out. May have to go to the storage unit!

TQ

Back