free website stats program confused but sounds like a scam | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

confused but sounds like a scam

I saw a ad on C.L. this morning for a '99 Fatboy for $2,900 "ONLY" in Macon (a near by town). I sent an inquiry. I'm expecting a reply that smacks of scam. If I can't see it and touch it, they can't see or touch my $$. Some day I will get that "deal of a lifetime" or "barn find". Some day. :newsmile077:

Good luck Breeze, hope it is real. they are still trying to sell me the bike but wont give me a address to see it. so my deal was a scam

Some day I will get that "deal of a lifetime" or "barn find". Some day. :newsmile077:

I think the only time you really find 'deals of a lifetime' is when the seller has something he never heard of or knows nothing about the item. With Harley, even people who don't ride know and heard of the name.

But I guess it could happen. I know of a guy who did get a 2002 Softail for next to nothing from a lady who's husband had just passed away and she had no clue about the bike. I myself would have not have taken advantage of her but this guy did. Sure he has a great bike and thinks he is a genius but I lost all my respect for him.

Mmmm, something smells here...like a scam. Don't give up yer bucks till you have seen the bike. Good Luck!

I saw a ad on C.L. this morning for a '99 Fatboy for $2,900 "ONLY" in Macon (a near by town). I sent an inquiry. I'm expecting a reply that smacks of scam. If I can't see it and touch it, they can't see or touch my $$. Some day I will get that "deal of a lifetime" or "barn find". Some day. :newsmile077:

I got a reply. The usual "husband died, bike is crated, will open a case (?) in ebay", etc,etc.

I don't understand how the scam works. Ebay does not do 3rd party money transactions. Does the scammer have a Ebay clone account that people would send money to? I have searched many times, and can't find an answer of exactly what or how the scammers get money from unsuspecting buyers. I should be happy that I can spot a scam, but I'm curious of how things work in general.

Some of these things are pretty complex. They post for free and millions see it, but it only takes one "buyer" to make bank. I see this stuff all the time. Like the Canadian Lottery scam. "You won! Just send us the taxes and we'll send you the check." I tell people, have you ever been to Canada? Then how could you have gotten entered? And why can't they just take the taxes out of the winnings? You'd be surprised how many people fall for it. And there is virtually no way to track it back to the offender!

If it is an E bay scam let them know and they will investigate, if it sounds to good well you all know how this turns out, and I dont trust any one Spamming me JMO

I would add that even if you can see the bike do not do the deal without at least running the VIN. If your DMV allows it and the existing title and registration are from the state they are selling in, then I would meet the seller at the DMV and not hand money over until they had issued me a new registration.

If I was selling then I would meet the buyer at a bank and either only take cash after the bank verified it was not counterfeit or a bank draft issued from that bank and cashed out on the spot.

There are hundreds of scams, and they are getting more sophisticated every day. Trust no one.

People start a site like that with the intention of helping others then some piece of trash scammer ruins it. Scammers make me sick. They are lower than pond sediment (wasn't sure if the other 4 letter word was acceptable so used sediment).

I had a similar one when I was searching for a good use bike before I bought my Ultra. The add was on Kijiji (similar to Craigslist) and posted from London, Ontario. Nice '08 Goldwing loaded with Kuryakyn extras. Emailed them and got some sob story about being divorced and she got the bike and is moving to London, United Kingdom (that was a big red flag, who refers to London, England that way?). They'd ship the bike to me and if I didn't like it ship it back no charge.
They never answered me when I emailed back that I'd do the 3 day drive or fly out to go see it.

Ads had been run with the same picture but different hogwash stories on other sites. And it wasn't just bikes they'd use.

Last edited:
Back