free website stats program Compensator Upgrade Update | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Upgrade Update

Got the comp sprocket and did the removal part today. All went very well; the comp sprocket bolt came loose with a ¾ inch socket, 3/8 inch drive breaker bar with a 2 foot pipe extension, just applying steady pressure. The clutch mainshaft nut (Left Hand thread) was a 1-3/16 socket ½ inch drive breaker bar, un-did fine with the same pipe extension, just steady force.

To remove the rotor, had to shave away about 2/32" from front inner chaincase around 6 o’clock; a little less, about 1/16 up to the 9 o’clock area. Used a 1/4 inch shank rotary file bit about ½ diameter with 7/8 inch long cutting area in a hand held drill set at very low speed. Worked very well.

Hoping to do the install tomorrow. Test ride most likely Friday. :D

Thanks to all for the tremendous help in preparation.
Thanks again Hoople, glad I didn't use a grinding stone. :s

Job completed. The new rotor is slightly larger than the OEM, and had to shave just a touch more in the same area of the inner primary.

Didn’t see a place to grasp to pull and remove the new rotor, so I threaded the two existing holes with a 5/16 –18NC tap, just shy of going through to provide a built in stop. Can get 3 threads of a 5/16 bolts started, and works to pull it back off if ever needed, hopefully without removal of inner primary. Maximize the shaving effort. Tape the inside area well, as any cuttings are attracted, well, like a magnet. :D I used another magnet to remove any cuttings before removing the packing tape.

Starter knock definitely gone. Weather been cold and wet, so not a good test ride yet; tomorrow looks better for weather.

Awesome! Sounds like a Job Well Done. Congrats.
Man, I only have 4,500 miles on my bike but I am this close to putting in an SE compensator. It sounds like even a new bike would benefit from it.
PigSnot, did both Rotors have the same number of magnets?

Hoop!

Yes, both rotors had 12 magnets.
I was expecting the old one to have 8 magnets as I thought there was a post to that effect, but don't know year or model bike that post referred to.

And Thanks. Feels good to have done it myself. Would most likely not have without this forum.

It was a nice day for a ride, 90 km, about 56 miles. As mentioned, nice quiet startup. The exhaust note is now dominant; the ‘can of marbles’ noise (my biggest single issue) is very much subdued but does come through near the shift points, regardless of gear. Just a reminder when it’s time to shift. :D
Riding within the speed range of a given gear is now much more pleasant. The overall drivetrain is smoother, particularly noticed when pulling in my parking space between the two cars, and the shifting is smoother too. The missus will like that but it was a little chilly (6*C or 42*F) to check it out 2 up. A significant improvement overall. :)

I'm confused about something. Why do you have to remove the rotor? I have looked at the manual for my '08 Dyna, and it seems to me the rotor is behind the compensator and you should be able to replace it without removing the rotor. What am I missing? :34:

They say that ignorance is bliss, I guess I'm one happy guy. :newsmile100: Went back and looked a little closer and answered my own question. :small3d023:

well darn,, i have this problem,, and like many was told when new "that is just normal noise" standard answer. I even took bike in to have the "starter" noise checked out, and of course there was nothing wrong. Could be because the problem is not the starter,but seems like the techs woud know of this problem by now and address that. Enough said about the Company, I do not want to get my blood pressure up. My bike is 09 FLHT with 43,000+ miles on it now. OK, i have looked in a couple of threads here and not seen why to replace the the rotor also. Some one please enlighten me here!!!

as said you must replace it with se comp as the spring pack of the stock comp is crimped into the rotor

Back