free website stats program Compensator Upgrade Update | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Upgrade Update

ironmark

As some of you know I had the SE premium compensator sprocket for 07 & up bikes installed awhile back . My 08 RG has a 103" stage 2 with stock heads & no compression releases , I was having issues with the starter grinding & clunking & the starter even stalled a few times . After having the starter replaced once & have problems with the 2nd starter & having the HD service managers tell me that I should have had the compression releases put in & that compression releases would take care of all my starting problems . I decided to do the compensator sprocket upgrade ( HD part #40274-08 ) hoping that the upgrade would help & because it is a less costly fix & takes less time then taking the heads off to put in the compression releases . Now after 2500 miles & a lot of engine starts I have yet to have ANY issues with the starter , all is normal no clunk or grind , also there is NO more primary chain noise , also the bike seems smoother at lower RPMs . So far I am very happy with the results & would recommend it to everyone even if you have a stock engine . IMO there is no need for compression releases in my case & if you are tired of the starter clunk & primary noise then there is a need to upgrade the compensator sprocket because the stock compensator sprocket is the weak link in the primary .

Yep,
It sure is a great improvement, not only starting but riding comfort right from the time the clutch is let out on the "get go" and decel smoothness to up and down shifts.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I'm convinced. Just ordered the part from Clermont Harley in Florida. They matched Zanotti's price (209.00) and will install it for 375.00. Since I don't have the required tools, I am going to let them do it for me. Excited, hope I'm not disappointed.

16,000 miles since I put mine on and I'm still saying it is the best up-grade I've made.
Incidently, has anyone heard from Sadist 112? He was in the process of making the installation a week or so ago, and I haven't seen him post anything since???

Back