free website stats program Compensating sprocket comes loose | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensating sprocket comes loose

My compensating sprocket keeps coming loose
Did you resolve the Comp Nut issue & what method did you choose, shaving the nut off or installing a .030 shim under the nut head?

Did you resolve the Comp Nut issue & what method did you choose, shaving the nut off or installing a .030 shim under the nut head?
Also, if you used a shim, where did you buy it. I can't find the shim anywhere. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any local machinist or machine shop will shave the comp nut for you. Cost is minimal. It cost me a pizza for the crew in the shop. Never met any of them before in my life....

[QUOTE="BowTieChevy]Did you resolve the Comp Nut issue & what method did you choose, shaving the nut off or installing a .030 shim under the nut head? Also, if you used a shim, where did you buy it. I can't find the shim anywhere. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Machine shop is the best bet for shaving the comp nut. You will not likely find an OEM shim; seriously doubt that any dealer has them since it has been 12 years since the early comp was "upgraded".:rolleyes: You might measure the ID of the shaft and search McMaster Carr but don't hold your breath.o_O

Thank you very much for all your input as I truly appreciate it very much. I do have one last follow up question. Would it be better to have a little more than .030" shaved off to be on the safe side. perhaps have it shaved to .032" to .035" & is chamfering the edges where its been trimmed play a great concern of importance or any other items that I should make the machinist aware on it? Again, thank you very much!

Thank you very much for all your input as I truly appreciate it very much. I do have one last follow up question. Would it be better to have a little more than .030" shaved off to be on the safe side. perhaps have it shaved to .032" to .035" & is chamfering the edges where its been trimmed play a great concern of importance or any other items that I should make the machinist aware on it? Again, thank you very much!

I don't believe more than .030" is necessary; however, IIRC, the shims HD offered came in three thicknesses; .030", .060" and .090" so I see no reason why shaving more than .030" off will be a problem. I would not worry about chamfering the edges but if that floats your boat, it won't hurt a thing; your call.;)

Back