free website stats program Clymer manual vs Harley service manual | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clymer manual vs Harley service manual

Very little to add to that said above:
HD manuals provide detailed list of Removal/Install steps with torque values and sequence as applicable. It is a list of steps (what to do), very thorough; but it’s not a tutorial (how to do it).

In my experience, Clymers provide more tutorial, but lack on detailed model/year specifics, sometimes not quite as detailed step by step and often omit torque values.

Since the part numbers are avail online; I’d check if the electrical manual is included with the Service manual and prioritize.

Ronnie’s has a parts list Microfiche on line.
Enter Qty -> click ‘add items to parts list’ and continue to ‘Sent to cart’
Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's Harley Davidson Street Bike Parts Finder

I manage well with the HD manuals and the help/research provided on this forum.

I've used both OEM and Clymer to disassemble bikes to build trikes, but I prefer the OEM. Did have a Haynes manual, got it cheap, was disappointed and gave it away.

The factory manual is far superior IMO. It does however assume a certain amount of familiarity with the product, the Clymer and Haynes are as someone else mentioned more tutorial, and especially the older ones will give you work arounds for special tools or dimensions to build your own. The combination of OEM service, parts and electrical manuals is pretty hard to beat.

The H-D service manual coupled with the parts manual is best...but at $60 or so each is a lot. The Clymer manual is okay, but at $35 it combines bits of all 3 manuals (H-D also has a third book "Electrical Diagnostics" Manual listing most all the codes, more detailed troubleshooting flow charts and procedures).

I have all 3 H-D manuals for home and shop use...I use the Clymer manual when on the road and because it has a color coded schematic that you can actually read and has enough information from all three to satisfy most of your "roadside repairs".

So honestly, in the final analysis...you get what you pay for! Only difference is how often you use/need the manual...the Clymer used only once pays for itself immediately...the H-D ones take a little longer, but if you use them a dozen times they are also paid for with the savings you accrue by "--doing it yourself"! ANY manual is better than NONE and that IS the bottom line! :s

Where are part numbers available. Ronnies doesn't give you HD part numbers that I could find. Great exploded views, just no part number.

Use this link it will take you to a uk harley website that have most of the parts lists from 2000 on click on original part search and use the drop down menus to select what you are looking for it looks like they have scanned the pages from the parts list then created a price list from it it is easy to use however my bikes are all too old to feature here
VAT Free Harley Davidson Parts - Jersey Harley-Davidson

Brian

Where are part numbers available. Ronnies doesn't give you HD part numbers that I could find. Great exploded views, just no part number.

Hoople; Put an item in your "basket" on Ronnies site, it will show the part # on the next screen, or checkout.

Thanks Breeze3at, you're right:
Need to a Enter Qty on the parts screen and click button ‘add items to parts list’;
On next next sreen, click button ‘Sent to cart’; only then is the parts number displayed. It's like on the third screen.

Back