free website stats program Clymer manual vs Harley service manual | Harley Davidson Forums

Clymer manual vs Harley service manual

Wtlj

Well i went to Harley yesterday for parts and a service manual. The parts guy told me not to waste my money on a Harley manual and to go online and buy a Clymer manual. I don't really care how much either one is just want the best manual. Parts guy said the Harley manual doesn't tell you specific locations and specs or how to fix or adjust anything like the Clymer does.
Do you guys agree. Also anyone know where to purchase a Clymer besides online?
Terry

I can't speak to the value of a downloaded Clymer manual as I have. Ever used one. However, I have used, and frequently cursed, the printed ones of bygone years. I quit buying anything other than the manufacturer service manuals a long time ago. The Harley service manual coupled with the appropriate parts catalog will provide you with just about any detail you will ever need. The service manual will have specific, step by step, instructions for the disassembly and reassembly of every system on your bike and the parts catalog will provide an exploded view of almost everything. Used together you can figure out even what wrench sizes will be needed the perform a specific task. JMO. Good luck.

I like the HD manuals because they are model/yr. specific. Often a picture is worth a chapter of words. I can't think of any spec. that either of my HD manuals doesn't have. I also have a Clymer 1966-1984 for my Shovelhead, and it omits much year/model specific information.

I've never had a Clymer manual that was accurate and complete. I've owned two Harleys and had manuals for both.

I prefer the clymer manuals although i have the Harley and clymer manual i find the clymer is better written and laid out for me to find things the clymer manual has a lot of additional information so covers the stuff that is in the owners handbook it also comes with colour wiring diagrams
The clymer manual will cover a fair few years my sportster one is 1991 to 2003 and has additional sections for later models
And it costs about half the price it will also give measurements in metric and if like me your measurement tools are metric then it is a must in my Harley service manuals there are no metric measurements

Brian

I have both and never open the Clymer. I wouldn't buy one, this one came with the bike.

Ok should I buy the HD parts manual also?

If I remember correctly, the service manual references part numbers. I've never had a problem picking up a part at the dealer so not sure why you'd need the parts manual.

If I remember correctly, the service manual references part numbers. I've never had a problem picking up a part at the dealer so not sure why you'd need the parts manual.

The parts list has blow up diagrams of all the parts which supplement the information in the service manual for someone like me the parts list is essential as there are no dealers to walk into i have twice in my life been in a Harley dealership so i order parts on line having the correct part number makes it easier to get the correct parts

Brian

The parts list has blow up diagrams of all the parts which supplement the information in the service manual for someone like me the parts list is essential as there are no dealers to walk into i have twice in my life been in a Harley dealership so i order parts on line having the correct part number makes it easier to get the correct parts

Brian

+1 The parts manual is equally as handy. It is great for referring to before tearing something apart to get a feel for what to expect and the order things are going to be in. Its very good for identifying those parts left over too!:D

Back