free website stats program Clutch went south today | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch went south today

It may be a good thing to check the splines on the clutch basket for condition before going any further by pulling the basket. Don't forget they are an opposite thread.

It may be a good thing to check the splines on the clutch basket for condition before going any further by pulling the basket. Don't forget they are an opposite thread.

I shifted thru the gears and checked the backlash in eash gear. 5th was alot closer than 1st. I don't think it is the splines. I'll check them if you think it need be.

At this point it may save you some time and you know the condition then. Usually the lower gears have a bit more wear than the uppers.

At this point it may save you some time and you know the condition then. Usually the lower gears have a bit more wear than the uppers.

Splines are fine. I'll put the new clutches in it take it and the pictures to the shop to see what they want to do.

It is normal, the mainshaft has about 30 degrees of lash in it in 1st gear. I have the primary off my bike right now and the top off the transmission, I put it in 1st gear and get the same lash as you do. Put it back together and ride. -Dan

It is normal, the mainshaft has about 30 degrees of lash in it in 1st gear. I have the primary off my bike right now and the top off the transmission, I put it in 1st gear and get the same lash as you do. Put it back together and ride. -Dan

Yohooo!! Thanks!! Parts will be in Thursday. :D

The Mistress is back up and running. Clutch install went without a hitch. Thanks to everybody for the help!!:bigsmiley8:

Back