free website stats program Clutch went south today | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch went south today

Redfish-Joe

Oh well. 65k on the clock and it started slipping today. I can't complain. Got everything ordered from Dennis Kirk and it will be here Thursday. Going with a Drag Specialty friction disk pack. I used to use them in my little XS 650Yamaha I used to drag. (7.20's @ 98mph in the 1/8th) and they held up well. I'll let ya'll know :D

Joe

Did you adjust the clutch when it was completely cold? It will make a difference. Where is the friction zone for the handle in relation to the bar.

It may bite me in the butt but money is an issue right now. At about 1/2 the cost of the OEM I have had good luck with DS clutches in the past.

Joe

Did you adjust the clutch when it was completely cold? It will make a difference. Where is the friction zone for the handle in relation to the bar.

Yeah it was cold. The friction zone is approx 3/4" to 1" from the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure does sound like slippage.

I don't ride that hard. And I noticed I thought I felt it slipping a little the other day. I checked the adjustment and all seemed fine. Yesterday the wife and I went for a little ride and as I went to pass a truck there was no dought it was slipping. Cooled it down overnight and checked it again. Adjustment seemed ok. Took it out solo and twisted the wick on it a bit and yes-sir-ree she is slipping.

Got enough free play at the handle?

I would give it another shot at the adjustment before pulling it apart myself.

Got enough free play at the handle?

I would give it another shot at the adjustment before pulling it apart myself.

Yeah I gave myself a good 1/8" just to be sure. I'll look at it again tomorrow and start from scratch and adjust everything out. Can't hurt.

Back