free website stats program Clutch troubles. | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch troubles.

cdd9807

Just started noticing slight slipping of the clutch on my 06 flhx. When I went to do the adjustment, I noticed the screw was backed almost all the way out. Does this likely mean I need a new clutch and how much of it? Rough job?

If the screw worked it's way out of the clutch basket for some reason, I am pretty sure you can fix this by re-adjusting the screw (slacken clutch cable adjuster all the way, thread in your clutch adjustment screw all the way until it is seated, then back up 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and lock with locknut to correct torque spec, that or search the forum for clutch adjustment, I'm confident something will come up).

Just check that your locknut is still on the bolt, this should prevent the adjustment screw from loosening up the way it did.. And you don't want any loose parts in your primary :)

Hope this helps.

Rough job?

That is one thing I love about these HD scooters. Installing a new clutch pack is a snap and the cost is really reasonable. For under $250 you can replace the entire stack (9 friction/8 steel). For $400 you can replace the entire basket including the ring gear and pressure plate spring. That's not bad for what you are getting.

Not speaking of 'after purchase chrome goodies', but so far I have only noticed a few parts that I would consider to be over-priced. On the bulk of the parts used to make up a bike, I would say the MoCo is very fair on it's pricing of replacement parts.

In comparison: Late model yamaha. Rubber Diapham ONLY for slide in carburetor,, $115.00. I would junk the bike first. Now that I think of it... I DID!

H D clutches are pretty stout, I would readjust it paying attention to tightness of all the adjustments get the free travel right and go for a ride, if that doesnt do it as Hoople said it is not a real expensive job:s

Alright, misunderstood your initial post! I thought the adjuster screw worked it`s way out.

in this case fully agree with the previous post :)

Just started noticing slight slipping of the clutch on my 06 flhx. When I went to do the adjustment, I noticed the screw was backed almost all the way out. Does this likely mean I need a new clutch and how much of it? Rough job?

I would try the adjustment First....
Loosen the clutch cable adjuster way up then,,,1/2 turn out after contact then go to the adjuster of cable making sure It is not "Too Tight"... Use the Full 1/8" (loose) to see if the clutch catches and should not slip...

What oil are you using in the primary and how long have You owned the bike and the mileage please.. Is all "stock" in the clutch area?????

signed....BUBBIE

Had this bike about a year and it is stock in the clutch area. I have regular h-d oil in it. The bike only has 9500 miles seems odd to me the clutch is bad, but I tried to adjust it and I have to take it almost all the way out to get it to stop slipping noticeably. I just kind of wanted to get some opinions if it was the discs or what.

Where does the pressure screw end up if you just adjust it by the book (turn in until resistance then out 3/4 turn) instead of adjusting it to stop slipping noticeably.

I would adjust the pressure screw distance by the book (engine cold). If it slips, you must then inspect the diaphragm pressure spring, because it may be weak. Does the clutch lever have good resistance when you pull it into the bars. If Yes, then I would say pull clutch pack out (not a big deal) and check the condition of the steel plates and friction plates.

Back