free website stats program Clutch question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch question

Glider,

I just can't get over the 40% clutch release before it grabs - If I crack open the durby cover do I tighten the bolt more or less to get it to grab sooner?

A buddy of mine said I may have burned my clutch pack and that it what is doing it - Not sure how I could have done that with just 1200 miles on it and babied but I thought I would ask you - He said if I open it up and do the adjustment I may also take on the responsiblity of them not adjusting it right at the 1k maintenance.. your thoughts?

Thanks

When adjusting the clutch, backing the adjuster in the center of the clutch pack out more towards the max 1 turn out ad opposed to 1/2 turn out will move the engagement point . It's a trial and error thing to get it where YOU want it, normally I find between 1/2 to 3/4 turns out will give you a good clutch handle.

If you did burn out the clutch from improper usage, it would be slipping verses what you are explaining here.

just a comment, i adjusted the clutch as per directions and video from this site, and now as a novice i followed directions and can get my shifter in neutral with no problems,,:D
also adjusted throttle as per videos and what a pleasure to throttle up with no sticking. fluid changes went well with spectro and noise shift levels down a bit,
also installed zerk fitting on shifter link area. Great addition. I also installed a 45 deg. zerk fitting on the handle bar neck area for easier access to grease when needed. thanks to all who posted these self help tips.:)

Back