free website stats program clutch problems | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch problems

nascar7613

2009 Street Glide. Seems like the clutch is not disengaging completely. The clutch starts engaging right off the grip, less then half an inch, can't get neutral with bike running from 1st gear, if I'm real careful I can find neutral from 2nd. Took the clutch discs out, they were gummed up and sticking together. Put in new clutch discs, both friction and steel, cleaned all the gummy crap from inside the clutch basket, backed off the clutch cable all the way, turned the adjustment screw out then in until resistance then backed off half a turn, adjusted cable until less then eighth of an inch freeplay, and the clutch basically acts the same. What else would cause the clutch not to fully disengage?

I know you replaced the discs, but did you adjust the clutch from there before doing the cable adjustment?

Yea, I did the adjustment on the bottom first, then the cable. I took the bike for a short ride this afternoon, and I can find neutral now & the clutch engages a little further away from the grip. Maybe the tabs on the discs need to wear down slightly to slide in the basket easier.

What primary oil are you using as incorrect oil can cause the clutch to not release as well as it should
With the clutch spinning when the pressure from the spring is removed most of the oil should be thrown clear of the plates leaving only a thin film
Sometimes holding the clutch leaver in for a moment will help with disconnection

Brian

It has Biker's Choice primary chain case lubricant. It's getting much better on it's own the more I ride it, 20 miles or so, noticeable difference.

The plates relubricating themselves after having them out and cleaning them would make a big difference..

Back