free website stats program Clutch "clanking" sound | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch "clanking" sound

My drivetrain does it if I really try and force it to do it. But it's not coming from the primary area.

I don't know that I'd say I'm forcing this sound to be generated - it's really nothing more than pulling into the garage from a dead-stop, and going over a mini speed-bump and then pulling the clutch in after I've cleared the bump. And there's the mechanical clatter.

I don't think I even get a full engagement of the clutch (i.e., full lever out) because by the time I've cleared the bump with the rear wheel, I'm pulling the clutch lever back in to stop my process as I'm nearly all the way into the garage at that point. But that's just one example. I can replicate this sound easily under other conditions.

And there's one thing I'm not quite sure of yet, and that's if I have a properly adjusted clutch. I've got the 1" of lever release before the clutch engages, but its like still engaging all the way to full lever release. Which I'm still not used to, after riding the metric for so long. By the time I was at the appx 3/4's out point of lever release on the metric, I could begin rolling on the throttle smoothly and the clutch was fully engaged. I do this same throttle twist at the same point of lever release on the Ultra and I get this "surge" with the final bit of lever release. It's like the clutch is still engaging all the way to full lever release. I'm still not smooth on my clutch operations on this bike and don't know if it's me, a mis-adjusted clutch, or supposed to be that way.

And there's one thing I'm not quite sure of yet, and that's if I have a properly adjusted clutch. I've got the 1" of lever release before the clutch engages, but its like still engaging all the way to full lever release. Which I'm still not used to, after riding the metric for so long. By the time I was at the appx 3/4's out point of lever release on the metric, I could begin rolling on the throttle smoothly and the clutch was fully engaged. I do this same throttle twist at the same point of lever release on the Ultra and I get this "surge" with the final bit of lever release. It's like the clutch is still engaging all the way to full lever release. I'm still not smooth on my clutch operations on this bike and don't know if it's me, a mis-adjusted clutch, or supposed to be that way.

Are you saying the "friction Zone" is much wider on an HD than a metric.? That is true, I found the friction zone much wider on a HD than a metric. That is a Good thing. It gives you a lot more control at slow speeds & slow maneuvers

Are you saying the "friction Zone" is much wider on an HD than a metric.?

Yes, I guess that would be what I'm saying. I take it this is normal on these bikes then. I have never ridden an HD for any length of time prior to owning this bike, so still learning its personality.

So it sounds like it's "me" and not a mis-adjusted clutch. Also sounds like I still have some work to do on my clutch operations on this scoot...

Once you get use to the awesome friction zone on an HD, you will never go back. In my book, the wider the better. As long as you have complete free-wheel and also complete no slip engagement at the two extremes, a wide friction zone is Great to have.

My 2008 and now my 2009 Road King Cassic could both be made to make this clanking sound with partial clutch release. I just went out to the shop, got on and by partially releasing the clutch to get forward motion then pulling the clutch in I was able to make this sound. My 2008 had 52,000 on it when sold and I never had a clutch problem so have to conclude that this is likely normal.

My 2008 and now my 2009 Road King Cassic could both be made to make this clanking sound with partial clutch release. I just went out to the shop, got on and by partially releasing the clutch to get forward motion then pulling the clutch in I was able to make this sound. My 2008 had 52,000 on it when sold and I never had a clutch problem so have to conclude that this is likely normal.

I appreciate that add'l testing Bobbiegs. It's sounding like this may be a legitimate "they all do that" condition. That is what the HD service guy stated, and also stated is was more specific to the 6-speed models.

I think at this point I'm going to put this on the back burner. Appreciate all the assistance from everyone on this. Ride 'em safe -

Bubbie, can you tell if the noise is coming from the primary area or the gear box. If the noise is coming from the primary area,, my guess is the noise would be gone if there was a SE compensator installed. I keep thinking it's coming from a compensator that has a weak compression spring washer. Mind you, it's not going to hurt anything. It's just the noise created by the 3 slots climbing up onto the 3 triangular ramps & when you pull in the clutch, they slide back down under spring force.

Yes? No? Maybe?

YES! My noise is the compensator.... Like You said.

The newer comp replacement would quiet it down.... I can get by with the stock one as it doesn't bother me.

I would like to hear back if His clutch Needed adjustment?!

signed....BUBBIE

YES! My noise is the compensator.... Like You said.

The newer comp replacement would quiet it down.... I can get by with the stock one as it doesn't bother me.

I would like to hear back if His clutch Needed adjustment?!

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie - I'll let you know on that clutch adjustment, if it helps, once I get to it.. but will let you know -

So I'm guessing if you guys replicate exactly what I'm doing to produce this sound..that yours does not do it?

Let me ask this. This is a used bike that I bought off the dealer, and I didn't think to enquire as to the prior service history. Is this something the dealer I bought from would have on file? And if I ask, are they obligated to give to me? Yes, I know. Wrong time to be asking these questions...thanks

My 08 FLHX does it too,been doing it for quite some time now. I believe it's the primary drive takin up slack. Love them HARLEYS :57:

Back