free website stats program Clutch "clanking" sound | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch "clanking" sound

trvlr

Not sure exactly how to describe this, but trying to find out if this is a "normal" sound while operating the clutch when pulling the bike into the garage.

I've only heard this when pulling the bike into the garage up to this point, so not sure if it's more widespread. But when I'm stopped and idling and begin pulling the scoot into the garage, I have a little bit of a "bump" to go over that is the track assembly for a screen door that covers the entrance to the garage (keep bugs, etc out)

As I'm working the clutch to get over this "speed-bump", I'm guick engage/dis-engaging on the clutch lever action as I'm pulling in. And when I pull the clutch lever in during this process, I get a quite audible clanking noise that happens. And happens fairly routinely.

Now I'm used to hydraulic clutch action from my old metric, which was quiet as a mouse. Is this clanking sound I'm hearing normal on these HD scoots? Can't think of a better word than clanking for what I'm hearing, but it's definitely noticeable...Any insight on this would be most appreciated - thanks

Also, does it only do it when you go over some bumps or is it all the time when you pull out, even on smooth surfaces?

And when I pull the clutch lever in during this process, I get a quite audible clanking noise that happens. And happens fairly routinely.

I have to do the same when pulling into the garage. My drivetrain is silent with no metallic sound. I would say it is not normal to hear that. Because it happens when you pull IN the clutch, my 1st guess would be the compensator has some backlash play.

Sure it's not the side stand making the noise?

No, not the jiffy stand...it's definitely up

Also, does it only do it when you go over some bumps or is it all the time when you pull out, even on smooth surfaces?

Only place I've noticed is when pulling into the garage. I think I'm fairly smooth on clutch engagement under normal stop/go situations, and never really noticed it other than the garage.

I have to do the same when pulling into the garage. My drivetrain is silent with no metallic sound. I would say it is not normal to hear that. Because it happens when you pull IN the clutch, my 1st guess would be the compensator has some backlash play.

Good to know. I think Gliders suggestion below is what I'll try next.

Possibly the primary chain is loose, try this nothing to loose.

Was just reading that article last night. That may be it..I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks all :)

well I put the Glider adjust procedure on the bike, and no change.

I did some more testing on this and what I'm hearing is anytime I pull out from a complete stop - go 2-3 feet and do a quick pull-in on the clutch lever (releasing throttle) I get this metallic slap. I saw someone reference "chain slap" on something I read in another thread. Is this what I have going on? It's 100% reproduceable.

Do I have the primary chain slapping around in the case...or possibly something else going on I need to look at..any advice much appreciated -

Do I have the primary chain slapping around in the case...or possibly something else going on I need to look at? Thanks in advance -

Only one way to tell there, check it out.:D

You should have the self adjusting one in there but they have been known to not adjust properly or even come apart too.

I just got this thing Glider!! Well I do have the manual now.

To further describe, as I'm relasing the clutch and starting forward motion, I'm only going 2-3ft before pulling the clutch lever back in, and it slaps everytime. So I'm not getting a full release of the clutch lever with each instance that this occurs. I've not checked on doing a full release of the clutch lever and seeing if I get this symptom, now that I think about it.

I note this as not sure if it's makes any difference in evaluating if I have an issue - gratzi -

I would pull off the primary cover and check for a flatten (weak) or broken compensator washer.
Cheap...Cost of a gasket and some oil. At the same time you can check the chain tension-er.

Back