free website stats program Clutch Cable Replacement | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Cable Replacement

I followed the directions you gave on how to replace the cable and all went great! I was able to adjust the clutch pack and the cable according to the video you made as well. I've got other issues I'm afraid with my bike. I made the adjustment but within about 20 minutes I had lost the clutch again. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to replace the clutch. Is that something that is better left up to a technition or is it something I could possibly tackle? I'm taking courses in Motorcycle Mechanics and this would be great learning material. But, I don't wanna get way in over my head.

Not knowing your skill level, this isn't a difficult repair to make. Hoping you have the service manual and look it over before starting the replacement.

I do. I got it with the bike. There are also 2 Harley dealers here in Birmingham so I'll be able to get the parts I need for it.

Just replaced my clutch cable on my 2000 springer. Everything seemed to go by the book. Adjusted cable to the 1/16" - 1/8" play. Problem is the bike seems to stay in gear even with the clutch pulled in. I have double checked everything in the clutch release cover and the retaining ring and the inner ramp seem to be in place. I'm afraid to start the bike and try to put it in gear for fear of it taking off. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.......Stumped

Thanks...Mr. Data, I'll try that next. The one thing that concerns me is the clutch was working fine before I replaced the cable.

Thanks again......Stumped

Thanks...Mr. Data, I'll try that next. The one thing that concerns me is the clutch was working fine before I replaced the cable.

Thanks again......Stumped

OK, Adjusted clutch in the primary by the manual. Unfortunately it didn't change anything. I tried to start in gear with the clutch in and it was like I never pulled the clutch in. Everything seems to be adjusted by the book. This simple cable replacement is starting to get the best of me.

Thanks......Still Stumped

A friend of mine and I are putting apes on his 07 Street Glide. After changing the clutch cable(working fine before the project) there is now NO play in the cable at all. The adjuster on the cable is bottomed out to where the most slack would be and we had to put the cable into the lever end by putting the end into the lever and pulling the whole lever assembly to get the end of the shield into the perch. basically we had to pull in the clutch to get enough slack in the cable to get the shield in. now there is no way to get the 1/8" of play that is supposed to be there. it is really tight. inside the trans cover we did put the cable back in the same position it came from with the plates with the 3 bearings lined up the same way and the cable being in the same "released position" inside the cover. any suggestions on how to get the slack we need? I read the clutch adjustment section, but will that allow more freeplay in the cable?

Clutch cable just broke last night on my 2000 Electra-classic. Your fix looks great. One question because of the fairing is there anything else to be concerned with. Also grease the handle end?
Thanks! Bill

Back