free website stats program Clutch Cable Replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Cable Replacement

I have a 1990 Ultra Classic and I'm currently in the middle of replacing the clutch cable. I took the cover off where the cable runs into and I got to noticing a piece that freely spins and can be pulled out by han without force. Is that supposed to be like that? It looks like a little sprocket mounted to a shaft that slides in.

It sounds like you are describing the clutch pushrod. It should be loose and removable with the cover off. It goes to the other side to operate the clutch pack.

Would I be able to find Dri-Slide in a regular auto parts store? Think J&P may have it? Good for the 2 throttle cables also? Tks!

Ok cool. The pushrod doesn't go all the way through though. I can feel it go in a offer up resistance but, I don't see where the pushrod will go in and engage. Does it only do that when the engine is running?:eam

It operates the clutch pack on the other side of the engine. It will have the resistance of the springs in the clutch against it.

the pushrod is operated by the mechanism that the clutch cable operates
when you pull in the clutch leaver then the mechanism pushes the push rod
as it goes all the way through the gearbox to the centre of the clutch it pushes on the adjuster in the centre of the clutch and causes the clutch spring to compress and ease the pressure off the clutch plates this allows the clutch plates to slip between the driving and driven plates so disconnecting drive
however as you have the side cover off the gearbox the mechanism that pushes the push rod is laying on the floor so it currently has a free end

Brian

The clutch pushrod is the only part you will be able to pull out, and if you turn it over you may want to check your thrustwasher bearing, it is out and may be a good time to replace it since it is already apart.

Back