free website stats program clutch cable lube | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch cable lube

There is another thread on Marvel Mystery Oil. As a former designer of automated air equipment, our maint. people found that MMO would clean air operated valves and relays. I contacted MMO with the concern that it may damage O-ring and seals (some teflon), and ask for the formula. I was told that the formula was secret, but sent a written guarantee that it would not harm any seals or O-rings. I've used it for years and have not seen any damage caused by MMO.

MMO will not hurt O rings or seals IMO, Have used it for years and never had any problems:s

I have found NOT lubing works for me, That teflon stuff is pretty good and tough,,,, as Mine doesn't show or Hear a reason to do the Lube,,,so....
20,000 mi, and I don't Plan to do any lube at this time,,,, Not suggesting you Don't,,,

Just My Way...

signed....BUBBIE[/QUOTE]
Does a 2000 Road King have the teflon coating or maybe a better question is what year did the teflon upgrade take place?
webb

I think I would still put silicone spray or some kind of moisture proof on the adjustment nuts, but granted if the bike is keep in a garage and not exposed much to weather or condensation, the cables should be fine without any lube.

These NEW cables have a very nice teflon coating around the wire,,,, I would be careful NOT to use anything that MIGHT remove the coating..... Not saying the above lube won't work but Just be Careful....

Maybe Check first...

I have found NOT lubing works for me, That teflon stuff is pretty good and tough,,,, as Mine doesn't show or Hear a reason to do the Lube,,,so....
20,000 mi, and I don't Plan to do any lube at this time,,,, Not suggesting you Don't,,,

Just My Way...

signed....BUBBIE

Hey BUBBIE - ole buddy ole pal, my bike is a 2001 Heritage - do you think it has teflon cables or do I really need to use some MMO to lube them with?

Bill

Hey BUBBIE - ole buddy ole pal, my bike is a 2001 Heritage - do you think it has teflon cables or do I really need to use some MMO to lube them with?

Bill

Bill,
I can see the teflon coating on the cable when Pulling the clutch in.. Take a look and report back....

On my 2000 FXDS one of the most NEGLECTED but Never a Problem things were the clutch cable and the throttle cables..

I found A little "spray can lube" from time to time was all that I used..
My Clutch cable and throttles never felt to be worn out and I put a Whopping 117,000 miles on the stock cables and Clutch (MTL) on that dyna..

My cables ALWAYS worked just fine... I Am FUSSY and keep thing working Smooth and Proper besides My Lack of Doing It By The Book.....

Yes good old buddy BUBBIE is NOT taking care of the Normal wear things but has had good service from them....

Don't do as I do and Little of what I say is a good Motto for some to follow... Read my statement on the bottom of my signature Line and that tells Some of the NEEDED things you need to consider when I Preach from the HDT Platform (Forum)....:newsmile07:

I don't Know When HD came out with the coating of teflon on the clutch cable but I DO remember when I lubed the cables I LUBED them to last a long time,,,,, as they did/do last....

signed....BUBBIE

Billbo; I don't know what year they started with lined cables, but I just went to the garage and looked at my '92 and '07. If you squeeze the lever and shine a light into the pivot area, you can for see the liner (or lack of) very easily on the cable. The '92 has is not lined (oem cable) the '07 does.

WhooHOO!! I just learned how to use spell check when replying.:newsmile024:

Bill,
I can see the teflon coating on the cable when Pulling the clutch in.. Take a look and report back....

On my 2000 FXDS one of the most NEGLECTED but Never a Problem things were the clutch cable and the throttle cables..

I found A little "spray can lube" from time to time was all that I used..
My Clutch cable and throttles never felt to be worn out and I put a Whopping 117,000 miles on the stock cables and Clutch (MTL) on that dyna..

My cables ALWAYS worked just fine... I Am FUSSY and keep thing working Smooth and Proper besides My Lack of Doing It By The Book.....

Yes good old buddy BUBBIE is NOT taking care of the Normal wear things but has had good service from them....

Don't do as I do and Little of what I say is a good Motto for some to follow... Read my statement on the bottom of my signature Line and that tells Some of the NEEDED things you need to consider when I Preach from the HDT Platform (Forum)....:newsmile07:

I don't Know When HD came out with the coating of teflon on the clutch cable but I DO remember when I lubed the cables I LUBED them to last a long time,,,,, as they did/do last....

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE, thanks once again for the sage advice. I think I will lube my cables the same as I lube the horn button on my pu truck. ;-) or otherwise, as needed. Thanks :small3d028:

Billbo; I don't know what year they started with lined cables, but I just went to the garage and looked at my '92 and '07. If you squeeze the lever and shine a light into the pivot area, you can for see the liner (or lack of) very easily on the cable. The '92 has is not lined (oem cable) the '07 does.

WhooHOO!! I just learned how to use spell check when replying.:newsmile024:

Breeze3 - thanks for that bit of info - I really need to go take a look and try to see what I have. But heck, at least you learned to use the spell checker -- right!!!!! AND that's a good thing. :)

Bill

Teflon works great...that's why they coat non-stick surfaces with it.

And just how do they get the Teflon to stick to the non stick surfaces??? Huh??? :D
(am I the only one that thinks of these things??? I really should get out more often)
:(

There is another thread on Marvel Mystery Oil. As a former designer of automated air equipment, our maint. people found that MMO would clean air operated valves and relays. I contacted MMO with the concern that it may damage O-ring and seals (some teflon), and ask for the formula. I was told that the formula was secret, but sent a written guarantee that it would not harm any seals or O-rings. I've used it for years and have not seen any damage caused by MMO.

I'm a big believer in MMO. Although it's pretty much ATF. I had an old Gran Torino a long time ago with a 351 Cleveland. It ran good but the lifters ticked pretty bad. Was gonna change them but someone suggested I pour a pint of MMO in the crankcase first and see what that does. I poured it in and ran it hard for about 100 miles and the lifters didn't make a sound after that. Changed out the oil and it was good to go. A little ATF or MMO in a diesel engine in the fuel tank is also good every once in a while. Keeps things lubed up real well and helps loosen up any gunk build up. Keeps the injectors clean too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back