free website stats program clutch cable lube | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch cable lube

twicecam

I am in the process of finishing up my service on my FLH I read that you are not suppose to use Dri Slide on the clutch and brake cables, on the 09 models.
If that is true what do I use? :coffee

Reading out of my Manual for the 09 FLHR Touring Models,

Use SUPER OIL (Part no, HD-94968-85TV)....

signed....BUBBIE

I used Marvel Mystery Oil on clutch cable. Pulled pivot pins out of clutch/brake levers and used alittle paste antiseeze.
wilks3

Reading out of my Manual for the 09 FLHR Touring Models,

Use SUPER OIL (Part no, HD-94968-85TV)....

signed....BUBBIE

These NEW cables have a very nice teflon coating around the wire,,,, I would be careful NOT to use anything that MIGHT remove the coating..... Not saying the above lube won't work but Just be Careful....

Maybe Check first...

I have found NOT lubing works for me, That teflon stuff is pretty good and tough,,,, as Mine doesn't show or Hear a reason to do the Lube,,,so....
20,000 mi, and I don't Plan to do any lube at this time,,,, Not suggesting you Don't,,,

Just My Way...

signed....BUBBIE

There is another thread on Marvel Mystery Oil. As a former designer of automated air equipment, our maint. people found that MMO would clean air operated valves and relays. I contacted MMO with the concern that it may damage O-ring and seals (some teflon), and ask for the formula. I was told that the formula was secret, but sent a written guarantee that it would not harm any seals or O-rings. I've used it for years and have not seen any damage caused by MMO.

I would do as the above posts say since they have more experience. But my problem was a bit different. When I bought my bike used it had only been riden on weekends since the previous owner worked out of town. It was stored in one of those small metal sheds during the week and there was a lot of condensation damage on the bike.

One of which was my cables. The first time I removed my throtlle cables they were so badly rusted and corroded I had to spray WD40 on them and work the nuts back and forth several times to loosen them up enough to even work. With a small wire brush and more WD I finally got both the throttle and clutch cables cleaned up, looking half way decent and adjustment movement. Ever since I spray either silicone spray or this HF dry Teflon spray down them. They have worked fine since.

I do remember reading that some Mech Oil gauge lines are made of teflon so I would think the cables would be able to handle any lube, but that's just me and could be educated different at any time in the future.

On the clutch cable boot I put a small plastic snap tie on the top to keep moisture out.

Agree w/Bubbie...if your cables are working fine w/no binding - ride on. Teflon works great...that's why they coat non-stick surfaces with it.

I've not heard that it's bad to put dri slide on the cables. Anyone else heard this?

I haven't heard anything like that. Dri-Slide is not my preferred cable lube, but my experience with it is it's just graphite dissolved in a mild evaporating carrier.
Maybe something reacts with the cable coating?

Back