free website stats program Clutch cable leaking fluid??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch cable leaking fluid???

It may be time to compare the lubes in the trans and primary for the color and viscosity and compare it to the leaking oil.

If you can see the note about the overfilling primary chaincase. I do notice that it shifts really rough, like its slamming into gear and I catch (EDIT) trying to find neutral. Ive gotten used to getting it in neutral. Just gotta get it in first and tap back shifter till it falls in. Maybe i have to much primary fluid and its backing up through clutch cable. Is this even possible?

Attachments

• clutch pic.bmp
    463.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Do what Glider and WindSpirit07 suggested above. Check the tranny fluid and the primary fluid. Then check the tranny vent on the left side. Should be a hose on an elbow. If this is clogged, and the tranny was overfilled, tranny fluid would be forced up the clutch cable to the adjuster. It would not take much fluid to get up that far since the clearance in the cable shield is small.

TQ

Last edited:
Turns out to be a bad seal causing Tranny fluid to be pushed up through clutch cable. Getting 2 new Bridgesone tires and replacing seals in transmission as we speak. I posted a thread about my tires having a little dry rot a while back and everyone said replace them! So long story short, next week i will be with Brand New Bridgestones and a non leaky clutch cable. Ready for the Smokeout in Rockingham not to far from now! AWESOME! THanks for all you guys responses and advice!

Later on guys!!!!

Turns out to be a bad seal causing Tranny fluid to be pushed up through clutch cable.

Where was the seal located. The only seal is the "O" ring where the cable jacket seals against the trans end cover. Other than that one the trans oil is free to migrate up into the cable jacket.

Back