free website stats program Clutch cable leaking fluid??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch cable leaking fluid???

shady1324

Hello again guys! Quick question and please forgive me if there is an obvious answer because I am still learning the mechanics of my new scoot! I have notice when i park my bike, a small puddle (2-3inch spot) of some sort of fluid directly under the clutch cable at the front of bike! I tracked it down to the rubber boot halfway down the clutch cable. i pushed back the boot and a bunch of that fluid was bound up inside that boot. The boot of course covers up the adjusters for the clutch. I didnt think my bike had a hydrolic clutch. Its a 98 Softail Fatboy. Where could this fluid be coming from? I thought that where the front brake cable crossed of the clutch cable, possible the front brake cable was a source of a brake fluid leak an somehow making its way down the clutch cable and collecting in the rubber boot! But the resevoir is full and no signs of leaking front brake fluid? This is wierd to me. Im gonna have to take it to a bike shop and let them smoke it over? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Something bad is gonna happen soon if i dont fix it because the amount of fluid that i am loosing, its coming from somewhere and its gotta be bad that it loosing that much! Again, thanks for any input that anyone may have! Im gonna take a closer look this weekend and see if i can diagnose the problem! Take care and Ride Hard!

Shady1324!

What fluid would be my first question,brake fluid is almost clear or bluish dependant upon the fluid with no real viscosity,trans fluid is thick and if you do the finger test it will spread about 1'' between thumb and forefinger,engine and primary about 1/2''

I would take a shot at the trans over filled for first check, after that go and check the vent tube on the side of the trans behind the primary. If it is blocked when the trans heats up it will push the lube out the cable as the only means of venting.

Also check your primary level too while you are at it.

it could be tranny fluid, I'd check your transmission vent tube first and make sure it's not obstructed, and if your sure it's coming out of you clutch cable, and your vent tube is fine you may have a bad seal.

i dont think its brake fluid because the cylinder is still full! The fluid is clear and doesnt really have a smell. Its the consitency of vegtable oil! Does that help! Its definatley coming from inside that rubber boot!

Actually YES. At the Harley shop right when i bought the bike, i bought this cable lube and I really put a lot in my clutch, brake, and throttle cables. The clutch was really hard to pull when i first got it and the throttle was sticking. The bike was a repo and was sitting out for a long time. i wanted to make sure the cables were clean and lubed up. Why do you ask. Could this have caused a problem?

Actually YES. At the Harley shop right when i bought the bike, i bought this cable lube and I really put a lot in my clutch, brake, and throttle cables. The clutch was really hard to pull when i first got it and the throttle was sticking. The bike was a repo and was sitting out for a long time. i wanted to make sure the cables were clean and lubed up. Why do you ask. Could this have caused a problem?

:D Sure could!

If it has left more than one puddle, that is a lot of cable lube. but it is something that has no viscosity to it.

Back