free website stats program Clutch adjustment | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch adjustment

Update, after coming back from Americade and over a 1000 miles later, I must admit the 1/2 out is too small a friction area for me. I'm going to go with the 3/4 turn out and I think I will like the engagement a lot better. It is pretty much an on off switch being set at 1/2 turn out.

I am confused. That adjustment should not even change the window size of the friction zone. It should only "shift the window" in relationship to the lever position.

I am confused. That adjustment should not even change the window size of the friction zone. It should only "shift the window" in relationship to the lever position.

Hoople, when its set to 1/2 turn out, the engagement is at the last 1/2" or 3/4" of the level action. You hardly have to pull it in to disengage the clutch is what I was talking about. I'd prefer the disengagement and engagement to be closer to the bars.

Hoople, when its set to 1/2 turn out, the engagement is at the last 1/2" or 3/4" of the level action. You hardly have to pull it in to disengage the clutch is what I was talking about. I'd prefer the disengagement and engagement to be closer to the bars.

10/4 I got you now.:p

That is really HARD on the clutch disc (closer to the bar).........I like the Full separation on the clutch discs.....

That is like taking the distance the clutch plates separate and allow them too close together and Rub, causing Early retirement of the clutch.... The More separation the better in my book....

But what do I know about it?????
I put 117000 miles on an Original clutch on my 2000 FXDS and that was a Big built motor.. Using the 1/2 turn out on the clutch and 1/16 on ferrule on cable...

that is My take here!

signed....BUBBIE:newsmile105:

I should have added: HD does say up to 1 full turn so it should be okay if They Say So....

You can take that to the Bank!

signed....BUBBIE:D

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really HARD on the clutch disc (closer to the bar).........I like the Full separation on the clutch discs.....

That is like taking the distance the clutch plates separate and allow them too close together and Rub, causing Early retirement of the clutch.... The More separation the better in my book....

When the lever is pulled in and there is no more power to the rear wheel - aren't the discs completely separated? I would think an increased friction zone would only harm the discs if the discs overheated.

The adjustment of the nut in the clutch pack alters where the friction zone ends up on the lever on the bars. If you have the friction zone up closer to the bars , it will not give you good separation of the discs and it will be hard/noisy shifting because of this and be harder finding neutral.
Further away from the bars (with 1/2 turn out) will give you better separation which will be easier shifting and finding neutral.

Glider, would there be exceptions to this?

I have the adjustment out about 7/8 of turn. I have smooth shifting and can find neutral very easily. (I currently have the HD Synthetic in the primary. The primary oil level is just below the the bottom of the cluctch back - when the bike is level.)

(I do not know what is in the transmission. It will soon be M1 gear oil.)

Back