free website stats program Clutch adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch adjustment

Scrounger

Doing the 1000 mile service and want to adjust the clutch. The manual say 1/2 to 3/4 turn in after contact. If you go 1/2 turn does that make the engagement later in the release of the lever? Just wonder what is better.

Doing the 1000 mile service and want to adjust the clutch. The manual say 1/2 to 3/4 turn in after contact. If you go 1/2 turn does that make the engagement later in the release of the lever? Just wonder what is better.

***LATER in my thinking... 1/2 Turn on adjustment compared to 3/4 turn on clutch adjustment, makes the clutch lever pull clutch plates "farther apart"..... sooooo farther apart when clutch lever is used makes clutch "Later" on the grab . Understand???

Sounds weird but think about it for a minute or two... Then you will agree

***I like to keep my adjustment at 1/2 turn, because it allows MORE clutch separation when handle is squeezed and is easier on clutch when sitting at a stoplight with clutch pulled and waiting while in gear......

signed....BUBBIE:D

Yep...Hoop is correct...bottom line, less freeplay cold the better, just make sure that you have some when turning the bar lock to lock (usually looser opposite the clutch side).

There's a video in the self help section called "Easy Clutch Adjustment Method".A good and accurate,if not quite 'orthodox' method of making your life easy.

Works well.

Isn't it OUT not IN after contact?

Yep, I let the in-out wording slip right by me....

Thanks Hoop,,

In to touch (cold) then OUT 1/2 turn on adjustment n lock nut.. The other way will slip the clutch apart and Not allow clutch discs to mate together...

signed....BUBBIE:D

1/2 is standard and basically makes the lever act as an on/off switch, reducing the friction zone. 3/4 gives you more of a friction zone, for easier slow speed maneuvering. I have heard that the Police (who are professional riders) backout 1 turn. (I have mine backed out 7/8.)

I've looked at both procedures and the 'easy' way and the 'by the book' way both look equally easy. I guess the issue is with not being able to feel the resistance. The easy way sounds a bit confusing to me however.

Back