free website stats program Close Call | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Close Call

First, I'm glad you were on top of the situation and everything turned out OK.

Second, I can't help noticing the irony that it wasn't very long ago there was a thread about brake flashers and MANY people scoffed at them and stated there really wasn't much of a threat from behind! Threats come from ALL directions and we need to do everything we can to make ourselves visible and keep an eye on what's happening in ALL quadrants.

This happened quite some time ago, but it's kind of a funny story.

Was heading down a major 4 lane road in my home town to see a buddy of mine who worked at a book store. At red light that turns green and traffic starts moving. About 1/2 block ahead traffic stops for a bus stop. I see in my rearview an old (like 68-69) Impala coming at me. I've got no where to go.

Wham...rear ends me and I rear end the guy in front of me. Trashed my rear and front end. (I'm driving a Datsun pickup and I hit a 76 Chevette--Chevette trashed my front end and didn't get a scratch.)

Now...the funny part. The guy that hit me was the guy I was on my way to see. He was late for work and didn't notice traffic had stopped. I got a nice bump on the head and a couple cracked ribs. (and some good deals on books for quite a while after that!!!!)

I saw it coming but there was nothing I could do. But still, I always watch my rear view.

I got a grip and calmed her down then offered her a ride on the bike, she didn't accept, all turned out well.

Well, I'm glad to hear nothing too serious happened and all are okay. Kudos to you for keeping your cool and calming the lady down. That is a great testimony to someone who may not have thought too highly of a biker.

Glad you are both OK, it's a really good idea to keep one eye on the mirror whenever you're stopped. A similar thing happened to me once, the difference is that I was driving a 2 ton bucket truck! She didn't think I was going to stop, just what she thought I was going to do at a stop sign (yes my brake lights were working) is beyond me, but she came crashing into the BIG bumper of the truck and took out the front of her car. Cop estimated damage at between $200 to $3000, mine was a $2 can of spray paint.

Last week my neighbor and I were out for a shakedown run and came upon an accident. The news report went something like this " The Volkswagen sedan drifted into the southbound lane and into the path of a Ryder box truck (big scary truck) the car was totaled and the driver was taken to the hospital by life flight helicopter. If we had left 20 minutes earlier it could have been us and the outcome would have been very different.

Be careful out there boys and girls, the zombies are loose and they are out on the roads!

I agree on the brake flashing. Cars can't see us downshifting to stop. The brake lights give at least some warning of what you are doing. Whether they are paying attention, is another matter!

Thank goodness for your awareness and evasive action. Glad there were no injuries! A few weeks ago I was sitting in line waiting for a stop light at the center of an old country town (3 stop lights now). The streets are narrow with 3 story 200 some odd year old buildings very close to the streets on this the main square cross street so visibility is limited. The light turns green and after a go stop go I'm setting up for a sharp right turn when I notice 2 people bolt from the close right corner to cross the main street. They were blocked from view of the car behind me by the people still standing at the corner waiting to cross the street we were on. I didn't even have time to look in the mirror as my instincts told me to get over right-dodge people. The young girl missed me by a couple inches as I had to stop to avoid a third pedestrian set on catching the first two. I looked over and noticed she was looking straight ahead lips moving a mile a minute on her cell phone as she sped through the intersection! I ran a road crew for a little over 5 years and young girl driver + cell phone = Yikes!!

Back