free website stats program Clicking and moving while in gear not running | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clicking and moving while in gear not running

Will not shift past/into 3rd 95 xlh1200

Hello all, I had my 95 sportster 1200 running good the other night, yesterday I went to take it out for a ride, was running great. Stopped to get gas, finished and pulled out, shifted into 1st fine, 2nd fine, but would not shift into 3rd. I did some searching and I have greased the shift shaft, I checked the primary drive chain free play, and I am about to check out the torsion spring. It shifts into 1st, 2nd and neutral fine, no problems, clutch works great. Even with the bike off, it will not go into 3rd. It just stops, pull up on the lever and it just doesnt click into 3rd, just stops. Any ideas would be great appreciated.

Re: Will not shift past/into 3rd 95 xlh1200

Ok tank, but I did resolve the other issues. It was the drive pulley that was bad. This happened later, seperate issue.

Alright works for me. I took the primary cover off again, and it seems like everything is intact as pictured in the manual. The shift shaft does have a lot of free play up an down and side to side, but it appears in the manual the shaft just ends inside the case and is not attatched to anything so I suspect that is normal.

I have the clutch and engine sprocket off, along with the shift shaft. I can not rotate the shift drum past 2nd into 3rd by hand. Does anyone have an idea what might cause this? My next step is to take the tranny out and in inspect, it would be nice if I had an idea of what I might be looking for once I get there. Thanks

I would check your shifting forks for broken or bent. Then the drum itself. Look for large metal pieces in the engine case where the tranny came out of. You will need your front drive pulley off before pulling tranny out of the cases. I think you said it was toast anyway.
tourbox

Figured out the problem. When the engine nut loosened up, the rotor must have slipped a little and dropped on the stator, chunks of magnet broke off. The stator is surprisingly fine, but I am getting a new rotor. Thankfully the best case scenario which I was dreaming about was the case with the shifting problem. After removing the tranny, I found a little piece of magnet stuck to the shift drum preventing the shift fork from engaging third. I am quite happy that nothing else happened to the tranny. The forks looks in good condition along with the drum and all the gears. Those are some strong magnets to have stuck to that drum and not break loose and fall off. Thanks for the guidance and help.

:D Good job paying attention to detail, are you sure ya dont want to change that stator as long as you are in there now?

I am thinking that if Jack is hinting at changing the stator, I would be changing it, he's a pretty smart guy. It wouldn't be cool to get it back together and take a ride then have it fail when you're 100 miles from home......Just sayin'

Would an uncoated stator be fine? It's a bit cheaper.
WAP.gif

Glad you found your problem. Not much $$$ to fix the shifting problem, just time. Yes an un-molded(uncoated) stator would be fine. And like Jack said I would replace it for the doubt and future problems.
tourbox

Back