free website stats program Clicking and moving while in gear not running | Harley Davidson Forums

Clicking and moving while in gear not running

kevinf88

Hello all, new to these forums. Bought a 95 sportster 1200 last year and am having a problem with it now. I went to take it out and when it is in gear and not running I can move it back forth and it makes a clicking noise coming from the transmission area. I removed the primary cover to find the engine sprocket nut sitting in the cover not on, I replaced the nut with a new one and it still has the same problem. When this nut came off Im assuming it messed something else up. Do you guys have any idea on what I should check next? Im thinking I should remove the engine sprocket and clutch assembly and look behind there? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin.

Check the tranny sprocket as well, some had problems with shearing the keepers

Was putting the bike away for the night and a large nut fell on the ground, dont know how I didnt see this earlier. The nut that holds on the belt drive sprocket to the transmission came loose and the sprocket slipped off. The shaft looks fine, the sprocket is stripped out. Hopefully I dont find anything else wrong.

Any idea on the approximate price of the belt drive sprocket? Harley shop is closed right now.

No,it has been years since I have done this upgrade, if this is part of the problem you will see it as soon as you pull off the r s sprocket cover, the upgrade kit works good:p Bikers Choice Nut Lock Plate Kit 410008 here is a link to an after market kit

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a definitely a problem, I have the drive sprocket off and it is toast. Hopefully there are no problems inside the transmission and this is the only problem left(for now!). What upgrade might you be referring to? I am new to street bikes and harleys, rode on the dirt since I was a little kid.

That is a definitely a problem, I have the drive sprocket off and it is toast. Hopefully there are no problems inside the transmission and this is the only problem left(for now!). What upgrade might you be referring to? I am new to street bikes and harleys, rode on the dirt since I was a little kid.

See post 5 Good Luck:D

Having read a wee bit of this thread first point may be that a few pennies spent on a service manual may be a good starting point as the engine sprocket nut usually called the compensator nut and the front belt pulley nut will have specific torque values along with specific loctite type and amount to keep the nuts in place otherwise the problems may re occur

Brian

I do have a service manual, and in the service manual and parts book it calls the engine sprocket nut an engine sprocket nut.

I stand corrected as there is no compensator in the sportsters it has been a wee while since i last had the sporty in bits it just seems to work so well

Brian

Back