free website stats program Cleaning | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning

I like the H-D Sunwash to wash the bike, and H-D spray-on wheel cleaner. I'll use one of the microfiber-covered sponges to clean the bike, and a brush for the wheels/tires. Drying consists of using a blow dryer designed for vehicle use. If I'm just washing, I'll follow it up with either Pledge or Meguir's Quick Detailer. For a deeper clean and shine I'll use the Meguir's clay bar, then either Meguir's or Mother's wax, followed by polish. For chrome, a good quality chrome polish. On the windshield, use Novus #1.

For quick wipe-downs, I use either Pledge or Hawgwash and a microfiber towel.

If I have some minor scratches, Try ScratchX.

I use Simple Green for the bike wash, and Pledge to polish it up. I use the HD leather product on the bags, seat, etc.
I plan on trying some of the other products mentioned at some point, just to compare. Husband uses the s100 wash on his bike, Plexus on the windshield. I like to get those bugs off as soon as I get back off a ride if possible.

Careful with simple green it can be hard on paint I learned the hard way on a lawn tractor, Glad it was her lawn tractor and not my HD! I use the HD sunwash and find it very good and relatively cheap as you don't need much of it. Then turtlwax Ice and it shines nice and bugs are easy to get off.

Okay I know this will come out wrong but Pro Honda cleaner and polish spray is the best I have seen for removal of bugs and everyday cleaning of paint, chrome and leather without doing a full wash. I utilize pledge, turtle wax or Lucas slick mist for polishing after cleaning my bike. You can pick the cleaner up at any Honda motorcycle shop for less than 6 dollars. Cleaner lasts quite a bit of time for the money. Also good for cleaning your windshield as well. I have looked at some Harley products but have not used them to clean with as of yet. Many products to utilize find what works for you. I have utilized this cleaner for many years prior to getting my Harley.

Not a sales pitch, but happy owner...wife actually read my XMas list this year & got me one of these: Motorcycle Dryers by Air Shammy~Only $122.77 FREE SHIPPING!

Now...I never wash a vehicle w/o it - literally makes drying a breeze...especially all the nooks/crannies on your bike.
That seems like good value compared to what I paid for the Metro Air Force Blaster. I really like it but it takes me a solid 20 minutes to completely dry the bike despite what "they " say.. I use it every time I wash the bike.

I will admit I like my bike clean,but I don't like to clean it.
I take it to a detailer once a year (it is going in tomorrow) to have it polished properly and a good coat of liquid glass put on it.The rest of the year I just hose it down once in a while and touch up with pledge.

Hi All,
I picked up some stuff at walmart called Mcguiars Motorcycle EZ-Clean.. and I recall reading somewhere in one of these threads about having to take off my seat before cleaning?? Can someone comment on if it is true and why? I have a sundowner seat on a 2005 sporty Roadster.

Hi All,
I picked up some stuff at walmart called Mcguiars Motorcycle EZ-Clean.. and I recall reading somewhere in one of these threads about having to take off my seat before cleaning?? Can someone comment on if it is true and why? I have a sundowner seat on a 2005 sporty Roadster.

ANY CLEANER should NOT touch anything that it CAN'T be used on... IF it says Not to use the cleaner on Vinyl, then JUST being careful on my bike so it does Not get on it is what I do. I don't think the McGuire product would damage the tough seat covers... I have use it to wipe my seat off... BUT THAT IS ME...

I'm always careful with a product UNTIL Known it is safe.:D

signed....BUBBIE

ANY CLEANER should NOT touch anything that it CAN'T be used on... IF it says Not to use the cleaner on Vinyl, then JUST being careful on my bike so it does Not get on it is what I do. I don't think the McGuire product would damage the tough seat covers... I have use it to wipe my seat off... BUT THAT IS ME...

I'm always careful with a product UNTIL Known it is safe.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I also noticed that from taking with people I get the impression ya just rinse the bike then spray it on, then a minute later wipe it off... but on the directions it says to rinse it back off then wipe dry...
lots of swamy rags...

Back