free website stats program Clanking Noise from Trans/Primary | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clanking Noise from Trans/Primary

Exactly the same way?
45 MPH in 5th gear. I would have to check it but that has to be below 2K engine RPM. I would expect something to rattle out of retaliation.

I hope they ARE NOT in 5th @ 45 mph !!!!!! OOOOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHH!!!!!!!

Exactly the same way?
45 MPH in 5th gear. I would have to check it but that has to be below 2K engine RPM. I would expect something to rattle out of retaliation.

OUCH, lugging like that is going to hurt and it sure aint doing the clutch any good either

the RPMs are about in the middle of 2k and 2500, on mine anyway, do you guys still think I am lugging?

I always was under the impression as long as I am above 2k with cruising I am not lugging.

Thanks

the RPMs are about in the middle of 2k and 2500, on mine anyway, do you guys still think I am lugging?
IMHO, your fine. To me, lugging is when you apply any amount of throttle and the engine seems to be fighting it self. As long as the rpms come up smooth and steady when throttle is applied, your just workin it a little.
I always was under the impression as long as I am above 2k with cruising I am not lugging.

Thanks
WAP.gif

Thanks

I'm gonna have to go with the other guys, if your gonna accelerate hard you want to be upwards of the 3,000 rpm range. There is nothing wrong with running these motors up to 4,500 to 5,000 rpm before shifting Harley says they'll go to 6,200 without any problems. If you're cruising around with a stock motor at 2,250 to me you're lugging it. JMTCW :bigsmiley23:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I thought I was out of the "lugging zone" :(

I will keep the RPMs higher and check to see what I have rattled loose....hope nothing bad.

Chances are that if you have been lugging it alot your compensator will be shot. I don't lug and my stock compensator on my '10 gave up before by 9000mile trip, then in the middle of my trip the primary auto chain tensioner gave up sounded like the chain at times was eating the case, which it was. Not impressed in the least with only 35,000 miles......

Chances are that if you have been lugging it alot your compensator will be shot. I don't lug and my stock compensator on my '10 gave up before by 9000mile trip, then in the middle of my trip the primary auto chain tensioner gave up sounded like the chain at times was eating the case, which it was. Not impressed in the least with only 35,000 miles......

Oh boy....so just curious what does the compensator sound like when it is shot, going bad, or starting to go bad?

I hope not, I only have 5,600 miles on her :(

Mine would bang from the primary when starting hot and would make a bunch of clanking when shutting off hot, basically all that noise means it is putting a lot of shock to your cranksaft. Yours does have the so-called heavy duty compensator already but mine after 10,000 miles is already banging and clanking once in a while. Under engineered junk but that is my opinion.

Back