free website stats program Clanking Noise from Trans/Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Clanking Noise from Trans/Primary

zyepod

I have a noise coming from my transmission/primary area that sounds like ball bearings being spun on a rope flapping against metal on my 2011 Heritage. It’s heard best at around 62 to 65 mph in 6th. gear when your only giving it enough throttle to maintain speed or just a tad less maybe slowly slowing down. I can make it do it in 5th as well at around 45 mph again just enough throttle to maintain speed. The Transmission/Primary has to be hot. All is quite when it’s cool. I can throttle up and the noise goes away as long as I’m throttling as soon as I let up to maintain speed or say going down a hill it’s back. After reading all over the internet I’m wondering if the primary chain is loose. I’m going to carry it in but just wanted some opinions first.

Sounds like the primary chain is loose...have you tried accelerating strongly and chop the throttle and allow engine deaccelaration only without braking to allow the automatic tensioner ratched up to tighten up the slack? I think there was a procedure in the Self Help section regarding this...

Didn't work... Accelerated fast up to about 30 applied the rear brake several times... Nothing changed... Carrying it to Harley tomorrow...

Didn't work... Accelerated fast up to about 30 applied the rear brake several times... Nothing changed... Carrying it to Harley tomorrow...

Let your warranty work for you and do let us know what the problem is, Best of luck to you

Well I carried it to a different Harley than I bought it to get their perspective... They couldn't make it reproduce so they associated it with a neutral rattle (or backlash) where things will rattle if the gear is toward the looser side of tolerance you will get this rattle or backlash. I hear them but am not satisfied... I am not going to ride this thing listening to this rattle/backlash for years to come. I plan on taking it to the dealership I bought it from this week.

My 2011 Ultra started doing the very same thing last week. Exactly the way Zyepod described it. Was wondering what the other dealer said? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Back