free website stats program Checking Late model "96" crank run-out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Checking Late model "96" crank run-out

Inquiring minds want to know :D

As a base link it's OK but if it goes out past the limits is when I would get into the engine to check it out. If it ain't broke ...don't fix it.:D

That's the best way to ruin the cranks and a downshift by mistake to the wrong gear when not paying attention can do the job real quick from the shock load.

We had a thread a while back,? in it about Down Shifting... Pros n cons

A few were appalled that I said " I Never shift down using High Engine Speed to slow my bike down......

Stating, I come from the "old school" and use only a minimal amount of engine RPM when shifting Down....
I also remember in the OLD days that the primary adjustment Shoe wasn't the heaviest to use all the engine High RPM's against...

Then someone asked me if I had seen the heavy self-adjusting shoe system in My 09 FLHR bike... Stating"Now,Heavy built and okay to use high speed to slow bike down"... No, was my answer, as I only saw the New Unit in a breakdown in the HD Book.
But I would still stick to my "old school ways"

Now with the "Crank problems"!!! This Really enforces me to Keep on the OLD School Idea and Not use High RPM's while down shifting......

I like HIGH RPM's going Up not Slowing down.... Sounds like a harley that way.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, It's not the RPM that hurts or scissor the crank. It's the sudden stopping (or attempt at stopping) the Hi inertia flywheels. Any RPM can scissor a crank. If the bike is going 40 MPH and you accidently drop it into 1st, you will scissor the crank BEFORE the flywheel reaches its terminal RPM.

Bubbie, It's not the RPM that hurts or scissor the crank. It's the sudden stopping (or attempt at stopping) the Hi inertia flywheels. Any RPM can scissor a crank. If the bike is going 40 MPH and you accidently drop it into 1st, you will scissor the crank BEFORE the flywheel reaches its terminal RPM.

Wonder if this would scissor the crank... Doing 5000 RPM then dynamite the rear brake to a complete stop the motion... Can't imagine All the Forces in play then.. That Also has to be a ONE time event for the crank... Maybe that is why I would instinctively apply the clutch-in at the same time.

What say you Hoop?
signed....BUBBIE

Looks "complicated" and I would Much rather take up the slack the "old fashioned way" when needed,,,,, Fewer parts make it simple and Stronger in my book..

Thanks Glider for the picts... I'd rather see them in pict form and not need to take apart! Wonder if I could get it back together??? :newsmile062:

signed....BUBBIE

Back