free website stats program Checking Late model "96" crank run-out | Harley Davidson Forums

Checking Late model "96" crank run-out

Hoople

Account Removed
Would anyone know if I can check my crank shaft for run-out (oil pump side, crank in case) without disturbing any clearance settings in my oil pump.

I would like to check run-out but don't want to throw something out of adjustment that needs a special tool to reset.

If someone has performed this on a late model "96", plz tell me what is involved. I have the indicators and measuring tools but no special pump pins/studs for pump alignment.

Smitty

You need to do some reading. Stock 96 engines have had cranks out of spec.and in need of replacing.

The 110 had other issues as well.

WHY you really need to quit listening to all this gloom and doom stuff.

Actually I am just curious as to how lucky I got. If I did measure something like .008" of run out, I probably would just keep running it that way and just would test my oil pressure with a gauge every now and then.

If I did decided to pop the engine up to maybe a 103, I would definitely get the crank "trued & glued" for sure. As a stock "96", I most likely will just let it be what it is.

It sure would be nice to check it and just get lucky with one that is maybe .002". I would never complain about anything ever again! :p:p

Actually I am just curious as to how lucky I got. If I did measure something like .008" of run out, I probably would just keep running it that way and just would test my oil pressure with a gauge every now and then.

If I did decided to pop the engine up to maybe a 103, I would definitely get the crank "trued & glued" for sure. As a stock "96", I most likely will just let it be what it is.

It sure would be nice to check it and just get lucky with one that is maybe .002". I would never complain about anything ever again! :p:p

Hoople,

I think the Milled spot for the chain cam gear drive on the crank would be a little hard to do a proper 360* check Unless the crank Has Had A Live center drilled into it.????

I know you could find the center of the crank and maybe go off that,,,

If "live center" exists you may check right there, Other wise you Must pull out all...

I have not had my 09FLHR apart YET,,, but will when I put in the 255 cams...

Some one here should know about the live center hole or knowing you, You can find the exact center and check there...

Just a thought
signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, I do know the crank only has 1 live center which is on the oil pump side. The PTO take off side (compensator side) all have had the live center drill out to accommodate the bolt that holds the compensator in place. So a removed HD 96 crank can not be held in a live center fixture assembly. But the crank can be held in a V block fashion on the ground bearing surfaces if removed from case.

I don't want to remove my crank. I just wanted to check and see if my flywheels were scissored by measuring run out at the oil pump side with a dial indicator. And I wanted to know if I would have to re-align the pump after I was done or can I just re-install pump "gear" and go.

if you take the rockers off and the cam plate off to measure the crank run out there are no tools to re allign the oil pump you just do the oil pump bolts up loose and turn the engine over a few times then nip up the bolts. the run out reading in the cases is high i usually see about 0.005-0.007" which aint a problem for a stock or mild build, it can also be measured with the cam plate on but will be 3 or 0.004" smaller than with it off.

if you take the rockers off and the cam plate off to measure the crank run out there are no tools to re allign the oil pump you just do the oil pump bolts up loose and turn the engine over a few times then nip up the bolts. the run out reading in the cases is high i usually see about 0.005-0.007" which aint a problem for a stock or mild build, it can also be measured with the cam plate on but will be 3 or 0.004" smaller than with it off.

Sounds like the cam plate will "Hold" the crank "Truer" Until the brass wears out and Then allow the crank to Move to way Out of Tolerance , if way out, and cause a mid life crisis with vibration in the later years like some bikes show after miles put on the motor....

Some say it never was this way when new. "Now" I have a vibration..
Wonder if this could cause that problem???

I have never had a problem with alignment of oil pump following the "turning forward of motor before tightening the pump bolts".

signed....BUBBIE

Some say it never was this way when new. "Now" I have a vibration..
Wonder if this could cause that problem???

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, Absolutely can be the reason. An overbuilt engine or some bad news downshifts could easily scissor the flywheels in my opinion. The entire assembly is press fitted so there is nothing that keeps it in place.

Everyone I have spoken with and everything I have read about it, seems to indicate to me this is what happens. Have you looked at the Podcasts?

Bubbie, Absolutely can be the reason. An overbuilt engine or some bad news downshifts could easily scissor the flywheels in my opinion.

That's the best way to ruin the cranks and a downshift by mistake to the wrong gear when not paying attention can do the job real quick from the shock load.

That's the best way to ruin the cranks and a downshift by mistake to the wrong gear when not paying attention can do the job real quick from the shock load.

That's my reasoning behind knowing what my run-out value was. I probably won't do anything with the info once I have it but it will serve as a baseline number to have on file for future comparison.

I mean the bike is running just SO SO perfect. Isn't it time to take it apart! :p:p

Back