free website stats program Check engine light, problem? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Check engine light, problem?

the front and rear factory o2 sensors on my bike are identical

Right, but isn't there a "front" and a "back" sensor. If not, they must have build in the smarts so that the ECM figures out which sensor is where based on seeing the exhaust gases on each particular sensor.

TQ

Ok I have a 09 sportster and I to have a check engine light coming on 3 sec. after it starts and goes off after 7-8 sec. and only does it at start up.

Can any one help? :D

Ok I have a 09 sportster and I to have a check engine light coming on 3 sec. after it starts and goes off after 7-8 sec. and only does it at start up.

maybe I'm thinking wrong here , but , isnt it supposed to do that?

Ok I went and bought 2 new O2 sensors and two torque cones and put them in, cleared my codes out, and went on a 20 mile ride. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NEVER CAME ON :D looks like my problem is solved , runs great. THANK YOU TQ FOR ALL THE ADVICE and showing me how to run the codes, I never thought you could find problems without taking it to a dealer. So once again thank you thank you TQ. Dennis:yahoo

This means you have a historic code set. Could be anything, and will clear after 50 start cycles. But see post #2 above to check the code. Let us know what you have, and we can see if something needs to be done.

TQ

Ok I went and bought 2 new O2 sensors and two torque cones and put them in, cleared my codes out, and went on a 20 mile ride. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NEVER CAME ON :D looks like my problem is solved , runs great. THANK YOU TQ FOR ALL THE ADVICE and showing me how to run the codes, I never thought you could find problems without taking it to a dealer. So once again thank you thank you TQ. Dennis:yahoo

OK. Congrats on figuring it out and solving your problem!

Give some serious thought to the TFI. You get a discount from Dobeck for being a member here (mention when you order) or a better one if you are active service member, vet, etc.

The TFI is user-friendly plug and play. Call Dobeck and talk to them about what you have and alternatives. The New Generation units offer more for engines like yours. But you need to give the thing a bit more fuel. You will notice the improvement.

TQ

Last edited:
What does historic code set mean? So after 50 or so starts the check engine light may come back on? Dennis

Ok what is a TFI ? some kind of a fuel processor?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Congrats on figuring it out and solving your problem!

TQ

If you ask me that P0152 really should not have gone away by replacing the o2 sensor. Hope it does but I would not be surprised if it comes back.

Having a Historic code just means it was a code that was logged not during the current key cycle.

Ok I went on Utube and watched how to install the TFI , looks pretty easy to do , If the check engine light comes back on and the code is PO152 again I will go buy one and see what happens......

Your fixing the problem in reverse. The ECM already sees that cylinder as rich. The working adjustment window the software has to make it leaner is "pegged". That is why the code was logged. That is what the error code is telling you. By adding a piggy, all your going to do is make it richer.

Back