free website stats program Changing Trike handelbars | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Trike handelbars

The Tri-Glides DO NOT have ABS! I put Wild1 WO525 chubbies on my '10 TG that gave me a pull-back of 2.5 inches. I only had to purchase a +4" longer clutch cable. The downside was feeding the wires through the bars (I.D.=3/4"). I also extended the wires about 10" to provide comfortable slack for rerouting.

Thanks to all that replyed and special thanks to Trike Lady. You were spot on. It does not have ABS. When I passed that info onto the dealer the price came down by $200. At $800 is still to rich for me. As far as pulling the bars back some, they would just turn down ans farther away. The reach seat is a good idea if the legs were also short. This would put me to far front and much more uncomfortable than I am now. I did call another dealer and their price was $150 higher than the last. He said I would also need the longer wiring for the electronic throttle. I don't want to whine, but I am truly fed up with the H-D dealers in this area. There has been much more disappointment with them than I want to mention here.

behavin
Glad to have helped you. Some dealers are slick and don't think people know and will try to pull a fast one. I wish I were closer to where you are all you'd have to do is order the parts and I'd install it for you. If you have a good independent shop in the area ask what they'd charge to do the job.:s

I agree with Trike Lady, my suggestion would be to seek out a reputable indy shop. Just keep in mind that although swapping handlebars seems to be a simple thing it is more involved than it looks, especially if thereis internal wiring in the bars. Handlebar swaps are one of the most frequent requests we have in my shop, and when ever I get a request to do one , the first thing I do is hit the customer with a rough quote of
$5-600.00 . Now quite often I am able to better this price, but I feel it neccesary to first get the customer into the correct frame of mind before investing a lot of time only to have them change thier mind. It is not as simple as just unbolting the bars and swapping over the hand controls. In any case if you get a proffesionally done handle bar swap done for under $500.00 you got a good deal.

i'm doing my '09 t/g to 10" paul Yippes bagger bars (not monkey bars.)
the stock elec. cables are ok, and the ft. brake line is ok. but i do have to change the clutch cable. non-abs. i'm 6.0' and 34 inseam. and feel these will be confortable for me.

That's about the right price, if you need to change the clutch cable and extend the brake line.

Also keep in mind that the wiring to your controls may need to be extended as well and that entails pulling the connectors apart pulling the wires and soldering in extensions and then shrink wrap and put back together. Its about 6 or so hours worth of work and then include the price of the bars, We used to charge anywhere from 1000.00 - 1300.00 depending on the bike.

Plus with a full fairing bike need to pull ignition switch and other associated parts. Sometimes we pulled the gas tank for more room and to make sure it never got scratched

HB

So glad to see this subject today. I have a new trike and took it out today. Was telling my husband that I really would like to be just a few more inches closer to the handlebars. Now that I have seen the price, I'll live without it. I have ABS on my '11Roadsmith Ultra Classic so I'd be on the high end of the pricing.

Back