free website stats program changing the idle | Harley Davidson Forums

changing the idle

I just got the heritage classic and it idles awful high. the manual does not show how to change this. Can it be changed? Should it be changed, or would that be bad for the performance?? Also, I want to put studs on the backrest pad, but can't figure out how to ge the thing off!! It looks simple, but..so far, no go. It is a medium height back rest. Any one have any suggestions?? :49:

I just got the heritage classic and it idles awful high. the manual does not show how to change this. Can it be changed? Should it be changed, or would that be bad for the performance?? Also, I want to put studs on the backrest pad, but can't figure out how to ge the thing off!! It looks simple, but..so far, no go. It is a medium height back rest. Any one have any suggestions?? :49:

Is it carb or EFI?:31:

Mike

The 2007 Heritage Softail Classic is only offered in EFI. I would take it to the dealer to make an adjust or check the download in the computer. It should make the adjustment automatcally unless some other sensor is giving a false reading to the computer. Hope it is an easy fix. Please let us know how you do. THX Ride safe, BB156

The 2007 Heritage Softail Classic is only offered in EFI. I would take it to the dealer to make an adjust or check the download in the computer. It should make the adjustment automatcally unless some other sensor is giving a false reading to the computer. Hope it is an easy fix. Please let us know how you do. THX Ride safe, BB156

Did not read what year. Your right. Apologies.

Mike

Yes, it is EFI. Thanks guys. I have found a place willing to turn it down for me. Sometimes I just get the pat answers(Oh, that's just the way it is.You don't need to change it,.) So, I call around to lots of dealerships until I can actually talk to a mechanic. I'm going in tomorrow to one, and I'll let you know what happens. Also, I had a dyno tune applied and, man, I do not like the way it sounds at all. Doesn't even sound like a Harley anymore. I'm not sure what to do about that, but maybe this mechanic can give me some information on it. I love this machine, and they way it performs, and I put about $4,000 of customized pieces on it, and the Big Radius pipes and all, but I'm a little disappointed with the service that's been done on it. I'll get back with an update, though. Thanks-Soft-tail:25: Norma

Make sure that the idle isn't so low that the oil doesn't get 'round the whole engine.
I have been told off by my dealer once when I had the Dyna 1340 at just under 800 rpm. He told me that there's a chance the oil wouldn't reach the heads anymore. Not sure though if that also applies to the newer engines but, maybe worth checking.

Softail Norma,I also have a 2007 Heritage Softail and the stock backrest that comes stock on the bike is mounted on a rigid mount backrest( unless you've had a detachable mount put on to re-place it) and is bolted to the rear fender. I haven't had a chance to actually look to see if the backrest "pillow pad" that you want to put studs on is removable or not? it should be, but I'll have to take a look.Also, you said you've dumped another $4,000.00 into the bike and said you put on a set of Big Radius( V&H I presume?) exhausts pipes.Did you have the dealer do this or you or a private shop/friend? With it still being under Warranty, hopefully you had the dealer do it.If so, they should have re-mapped your EFI system while re-placing the pipes because the new pipes have changed up your engine backpressure and also changes up your air flow .Sounds like the mechanic may have mis-calibrated on your re-map of your EFI if your bike sounds like it's idling awfully high.You may have to take it back to the dealer and get them to check it out.Also, if the dealer did the install, then your covered $$$$ wise and Warranty wise.If a private shop or mechanic friend did it, and didn't re-map the EFI,then that's probably what's causing ur problems.Maybe???? Hope you get it up and running great again.Take care,Hi-Tek Rednek

They will idle higher when first started with the fuel injection. If it idles high after warmup, I would take a run by the dealer and have him verify the speed for you and maybe adjust it.

Hey Softail Norma,I just happened to notice while I had my seat off the other day checking out where the fuse block was , that the backrest bar that holds the pillow cushion has -2- screw bolts holding it in place. I think if you carefully remove them, you should be able to remove the pillow pad and work on it to put those studs on it you were talking about in an earlier post.Take care,ride safe, Hi-Tek Rednek:42:

Back