free website stats program Changing Oil in Primary Chaincase | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Oil in Primary Chaincase

If you are putting 38 oz. in after draining you are overfilling.The spec is for a completely dry primary something you can not achieve by just draining the fluid.Bet your bike has a heck of a lurch when you start in gear.:s

Steve07,

Sorry, but your wrong. The service manual clearly calls for 38 oz. wet and 45 oz. dry. I just did the service yesterday and I just now rechecked the manual.

My bike does not lurch into gear at all. I keep it well maintained and follow the manual closely.

This is a good example of why everyone should buy the manual and then actually refer to it when performing maintenance. I can't count the times that I have seen people with good intentions give inaccurate advice.

I have an 07 FLHR, maybe earlier years have a differant spec, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that the "07" in your user name indicates you too ride an 07.

Mine is an 07 and if I put 38oz.in my fluid is half way up the clutch basket.
When I change it I use the visual method with the bike level fill to the base of the clutch basket. Always works out to 32 oz.

Back